From:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 02:04:14 -0800

Hello everyone,

Well, I'm certainly overwhelmed!  I wasn't expecting the large number of

I really think Cindy T. deserves a lot of credit for the positive approach
she used with McCanns. (See her 11-06-2002 post and those that followed.)
She politely insisted on a reasonable answer which she ultimately got and her
persistence paid off for all of us. The way she handled the whole situation
is a good example for us all, IMHO. Kudos to everyone who posted or replied
to any of the posts about oats.  Aren't we lucky to have this list server and
people willing to tackle &/or revisit touchy or controversial subjects like
this has been for so long.

So far, I have received sixty-eight (68) responses and all were positive. I'm
afraid I'm a bit over committed right now, so I'll have to answer the many
questions and summarize later.  I am sorry for the delay.

Meanwhile, the majority did want the recipe and it will follow this post.
Several newly diagnosed celiacs also responded and I do want to caution them
that they may want to wait a while before trying oats.  I know it's hard at
first, but honestly it does get easier and there are many G/F cereals &
cookies to choose from. Taking things slowly in the beginning seems to be
pretty universal advice.  So please use caution if you are newly diagnosed.

Thanks again to everyone for the support!  Hope those who choose to try this
recipe enjoy it as much as my family does.  (My mom would be thrilled!)

Warm Regards,

Arletta Johnson

G/F means: Good Food, Good Friends & Good Fun!

GRAMA's CRISPY OATMEAL COOKIES
(a lacy, delicate, gluten-free cookie)

1 cup G/F shortening (I use 1/2 cup corn oil, 1/2 cup butter)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large or 3 medium eggs (well-beaten)
1 teaspoon G/F vanilla

1 & 1/2 cups general purpose G/F flour (I've used Gluten Free Pantry or
Sylvan Border Farms and both work well)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

3 cups G/F Oats (I use 'Quick Cooking' McCann Irish Oatmeal)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together the
shortening and sugar.  Add the well-beaten eggs
and vanilla.  Mix well by hand.

Sift together flour, salt & baking soda and add slowly to creamed mixture
until well incorporated.

Add oats & nuts (optional), about 1 cup at a time; mixing thoroughly after
each addition.  Dough will be very stiff.

Make into 3/4 - 1 inch (approx.) rounds by pushing them from a regular
teaspoon (not a measuring spoon). Place on cookie sheet and flatten to about
1/4 inch thickness with fingers.

Bake at 350 degrees for at least 8 to 10 minutes or until dark-golden brown.
Do NOT under-bake and increase baking time if necessary.  Shorter cooking
time = softer cookies. Allowing cookies to cool until the cookie sheet is
just warm helps prevent them from breaking & they release easier.

Depending on the size, this recipe makes 5-8 dozen of the yummiest cookies
you've ever had!  It can also be cut in half or doubled and it turns out just
as delicious.  Both dough and baked cookies freeze well. The cookies are
delicate and do require care in packing when freezing.

Additional Baking Hints:

*** I mix all of the ingredients by hand.  I don't know if
using a heavy duty mixer would work with this heavy dough.

*** Parchment paper makes ALL gluten-free baking easier.

*** You can also let the dough rounds flatten by themselves as they bake, but
they may not be as consistent nor lacy.

*** All eggs are not all created equal.  Whatever the size, the total amount
of beaten eggs should equal 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. We've found egg proportions
critical in all G/F baking.

*** If you would like to make - soft/chewy oatmeal cookies - or an oat
muffins with McCann's ‘Instant' Oatmeal just use your favorite old recipe
(made with regular flour). - Replace the oats with this brand and use G/F
flour instead reducing  the amount called for in the old recipe by 1 tbsp.
This has worked for us with many recipes. If they turn out a little heavier
than desired try adding another egg-white next time.