From:
dave fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:25:10 +0000

Hi Listmembers,
Diagnosed with celiac disease in the summer of 1996, I struggled with
the idea of traveling anywhere because of the gluten-retricted diet.
Last summer, some of my friends, husband and I decided to go on a cruise
sponsored by our church. Before making the first payment, I spoke
personally with the travel agent about my concerns with the GF diet. She
assured me if I write a letter to the cruise lines, they would forward
it to the Maitre'D for reference and be most accommodating to my special
needs.

The year went by quickly and in my excitement (fears), I decided to
verify my request with the Regal Cruise Lines. Sitting dumb-founded with
phone in hand, the woman on the other end of the phone said gently, "I'm
sorry, we have nothing in our computer stating a special diet and as far
as I know the lines do not cater to special diets." Help!!! was my first
thought. She continued, " My advice is to talk with the Maitre'D before
you have your first meal."

To make a long story short, I found the Maitre'D in the dining room.
I gave him my list of "allowed" and "not allowed" ingredients. He wrote
"special GF diet" on his table layout so as not to forget. He would go
over the menu with our waiter before meals. He asked me to question
anything that I was doubtful about with the meals.

Listmembers, fear not that you will starve to death on a cruise. The
foods found on this cruise for a celiac is as follows:
Dinner: fresh fruit juices, fresh cut fruits, salads (no croutons - red
wine/oil dressing, roasted chicken, filet of beef, lobster tail (my
friends were stuffed with crab/stuffing - mine was plain w/butter),
roasted potatoes, baked potatoes, white rice/yellow rice (not pilaf), a
choice of 2 fresh vegetables each night. One error - roast beef with
gravy, apologetically exchanged with veal/stewed tomatoes. My only
problem was dessert. At the Captain's dinner, baked Alaska was served
but I opted for a baked apple with vanilla ice cream. Other GF desserts
were Jello, lemon rice pudding (no extract/fresh squeezed lemon) and ice
cream. Lunch and breakfast were either sit down or buffet line out on
the deck. Included were juice, melons, salads, grilled chicken,
hamburger w/lettuce and tomato (no bun), home fries, omelets, scrambled
eggs, hominy grits, bacon, sausage. I won't mention the other goodies
available, but there was always fruit, jello and soft serve ice cream.
Ask why we stayed up for the midnight buffet? This consisted of
everything that was left over from the day, except fixed beautifully so
as not to look that way. We ate again.

As our vacation came to an end, I thanked the Maitre'D and our waiter
for the great job he did (of course, always give him a good tip). I also
thank my friends and husband for being so understanding. We had a
wonderful vacation and believe it or not, I came home with all the
hidden GF goodies I took in my suitcase, "just in case".

Cindy
Chairwoman - South Jersey Celiac Support Group