From:
Lisa Wicklund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:58:01 EDT

Hello All:

I recently posted a summary about my husband and I going to see Dr William
Walsh for food allergy testing. I am afraid I may have confused myself and
others in what I was trying to convey.

First let me say that I am a diagnosed Celiac. I have been under the care of
Dr Joseph Murray since February. Since that time, I had two endoscopic exams
with multiple biopsies. Also he ordered many other pertinent test in the
diagnosis of Celiac Disease.

The reason I and my husband Al went to see Dr Walsh was because I continue to
feel ill with other foods that do not contain gluten. My husband has a wide
range of environmental allergies and has some difficulty with sustaining
foods for complete digestion upon eating them. He ends up going to the
bathroom not too long after eating some foods. We, as husband and wife,
wanted to see if there were foods that we may be allergic or sensitive to
other than grains or in my case, Celiac and wheat insensistive, two different
issues. This Dr Walsh is the only allergist who performs this type of
testing. He stated that he is understands Celiac very well but he is NOT the
doctor to diagnose it. He merely tests to see what type of foods an
individual may be sensitive, or allergic too, not gluten intolerant.

We both tested very red and irritated on acid foods. Now, my point which was
not done up very well is that whether you are or are not Celiac, one can be
highly sensitive to acidic foods. Many people complain that they adhere to a
strictl gluten free diet and still feel ill. My point is that I am one of
those people and this extra testing showed that I am very sensitive to
tomatoes, berries, potatoes, corn, wheat-which I don't eat anyway. I am going
to try a two week rotation diet along with my celiac diet to see if other
symptoms clear up. All sugars, MSG which is naturally found in cheese and
mushrooms must be eliminated too.  My husband Al turned up with a reaction to
rye, barley, and very big time wheat plus eggs and corn. While this is NOT a
test for Celiac, given his symptoms and allergy testing results, I was
wondering if he could POTENTIALLY become a celiac. Sometimes, people can
start out with allergic reactions first then comes the full blown disease. I
was in no way trying to say that this test was conclusive for Celiac. I know
better and it was not a good night to write that out. I apologize for any and
all misunderstandings.

All I can say is that the test we had done was good and interesting. Through
eliminating the things I am sensitive to for 2 weeks, I may be able to pick
up on  other food sensitivities besides the Celiac. I think many of us have
other food sensitivities but do or don't know what.

I sure hope this is a better post.  Take care.

Lisa