From:
Amy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:10:16 -0500

Thanks to everyone for the advice on where to eat and shop in
Claremont, CA!  There was a disagreement on whether El Pollo Loco
chicken is GF or not and I have called them to determine the status.
The lady I spoke with said that she *thinks* the marinade on the
chicken is GF and she will confirm it via email asap.  I will forward
the message when I receive it.

Shopping:

Whole Foods in Pasadena
http://www.wholefoods.com/company/californiasouth.html

Wild Oats in Pasadena
http://www.wildoats.com/cgi-bin/stores/wo_stores.cgi?CA

Trader Joes - San Dimas and Rancho Cucamonga
http://www.traderjoes.com/tj/locations/search/CALIFORNIA.html fresh
brown rice bread, rice almond bread, frozen waffles, see GF list on website

Vitamin City at 642 W Arrow Hwy, San Dimas (in Cost Plus shopping center)
GF pastas, mac and cheese and baking mixes

Lifesource/Wellsprings on Cental and Arrow Route in Upland

Mother's Markets (http://www.hiosilver.com/sourthern_california.htm)

Restaurants:

Walters in Claremont village (two people recommended this): supposedly they
are both accomdating and they happily tell you all their ingredients

In-N-Out:  Get a protein burger and it comes wrapped in lettuce
instead of a bun.  Can get grilled onions and tomatoes.

Chili Peppers on Alosta Ave in Glendora: chicken is broiled, beans are
made in house and GF, ask about other items

Outback:  Outbacks in CA are independent and you need to ask at the
restaurant before assuming that the national GF list applies.

general recommendation for Sushi (bring own soy sauce)

Red Robin, Coco's, Sizzler's, El Torito, Acapulco, Denny's and Marie
Callendar's were all recommended as having GF dishes (you just have to
look for them)

Panda Express in the Montclair mall has asian food with no MSG.  Avoid
chow mein, egg rolls, and Orange chicken.

El Pollo Loco:  still up in the air but I will post when I know more

-Amy, N3ZTY