From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:05:59 -0800

THANK YOU! I'm with you on this one. I was on the diet as a child, back when the rocks and stones were soft, and they believed one grew out of it (mid-1950s). Went back on it over 10 years ago, and after the initial 6 months or so, have likewise enjoyed good health, at least as it relates to problems with gluten and, in my case, lactose.Learning to read labels is, IMHO, the single best way to stick with the diet. I think it's generally a waste of time to call manufacturers--the customer service people don't necessarily know about ingredients, if they do know they may still only be allowed to read the canned script ("in an abundance of concern for your good health... our lawyers won't let us say anything beyond assuring you that we make the finished product to which you are referring"--my paraphrase of the standard response). Accidents happen, most often at the hands of well-meaning relatives (I have no grandchildren, but my partner's aunt--a delightful, caring woman whom I love dearly--has a kitchen so full of flour dust that almost anything made in it gives me trouble). Misreading of labels happens on occasion. That's my fault, not the manufacturer's. Once in a while, I get something at a restaurant that turns out to be problematic. I've only once checked on a medication, yet I've had no problems from the 5 prescriptions and handful of OTC supplements I take daily. All the instances of suspect gluten combined may come to the same 3 to 4 a year you cite. Contrary to what some people seem to believe, this isn't going to cause my villi to flatten overnight, and lose all the progress I've gained. At worst it will cause a few days to a week of miscellaneous discomforts (gut, lack of mental focus, aching muscles & joints).Yours in continued good health, Joe Ellison

[Joe, thanks so much for your comments. It's not my intention to make people feel foolish for calling manufacturers, but to let them know what works for me. Thanks.]

I'm not trying to make people feel foolish, either. It's appropriate to be concerned about repeated, frequent exposure to gluten. My beef is with the CSA "zero-tolerance" approach, which makes people feel both concerned and worse, guilty if they even so much as walk into the same space in which gluten exists. I believe it's not a useful approach to the very real issues surrounding both the individual coping with the disease, and getting manufacturers to realize the problems the CYA approach to customer service creates.Best, Joe
[Yeah! It prompts food providers to over label to protect themselves from litigation. Then we're right back where we started from ...now knowing what is & isn't safe to consume until we consume it! ha ha ha!  Valerie]

I'm waiting to purchase a bittersweeet chocolate bar that says "may contain shellfish, fish, ..." along with the peanuts, tree nuts, milk, wheat, soy, etc. Joe
[Funny!]
----------------------------I agree. I read labels and don't do any calling. I eat out but I do not partake of pot lucks unless it looks like contamination levels are greatly reduced.  I stay away from processed foods.   I also go without if there is even a tiny bit of doubt in my mind.  Betty
AMEN to your statement of reading labels.   I have always read them too.   But with the new laws, why isn't everyone else??   They keep asking if this or that is GF.  DUH...read the label.  Then if in doubt,call the company.  Seems like everyone is making this way too difficult.  And then the responses they get...... well, it didn't make me sick, or I tried it without a problem.   Like that is a bona fide answer!  The only ones I take to the bank are the ones who provide a letter from the company stating the products they have and their status. BEV