From:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:17:07 -0700

Original question:
my dermatologist diagnosed me with rosacea (my nose gets red blochy
bumps after I eat certain non-gluten items - berries, pecans, pepper,
etc.). She prescribed Noritate cream, which doesn't seem to do
anything. Does anybody have experience with rosacea and a successful
treatment?
Elaine in Oregon

Thank you to everybody for their responses. I am putting them in 3
separate emails.
---
I've used MetroCream for years. It's Metronidizole 0.75% in a white
topical cream which I apply once a day to my nose after washing. Oral
antibiotics are another option when an outbreak occurs. Avoiding
triggers is always wise, once you've identified the triggers - heat is
a frequent one, whether it's from a hot  day or opening the oven!
Galderma is the pharmaceutical
company who markets products for rosacea and you could contact them
for their literature and newsletter (just google their name).
---
Rosacea is a very stubborn condition and a nightmare to find your
triggers.  The Rosacea Society has a list of common triggers.  Some of
the suggestions are to avoid sun, wind, cold, hot showers or baths,
hot drinks, a whole list of foods including bananas, eggplant, wine or
alcohol, on and on.  It gets so crazy after a while, that you just do
the best you can and hope for the best.  My worst fear is getting it
in my eyes and lately I have had lesions on my right lower eyelid.  I
also get some around my hairline from hairspray.  I have taken
tetracycline in the past with good results, but began to fear that the
constant anti-biotic was bringing on some of my auto-immune problems.
Now I use goatmilk soap, a high SPF tinted sunscreen called Ti-Silc (I
get from www.drugstore.com) and Aveda makeup.  I have also used Mary
Kay with some success.  I have a prescription for Finecea and it helps
the bumps to heal more quickly.
---
This has been an issue in my family for a long time.  Mine is very
mild and typically means I use less blusher (I have a very pale
complexion).  My Aunt has found the foods (especially coffee) tend to
aggravate it.  So, she has used diet to control it.  My sister has
just done the laser treatment.  I think she looks great but she was
not happy with the results.  She is still supposed to have 2 more
treatments and is seriously considering skipping them.
---
Stay away from the things that cause the rosacea. Your body is trying
to tell you something.
---
I have rosacea and use Metronidazole (cream for rosacea) .75% cream 45GM.
---
I have Rosacea also, My dermatologist prescribed Metrogel, generic is
Metronidazole. He also had me take a round of antibiotics but I
couldn't see that they did any good. You also need to avoid heat to
the affected area & spicy foods like black pepper.
---
I too was diagnosed with Rosacea last year (after 20 years of battling
with breakouts on my chin). Besides staying away from my food triggers
(which are mostly yang foods plus
fluoride toothpaste and floss) I have been using Metrogel 1% (topical jell)
and Nicomide (vitamin).
---
So far for the first time in 20 years I feel like things are
relatively under control (not perfect though) and most importantly I
am off of antibiotics. I had bumps that looked like acne and wouldn't
easily go away on my chin. Doc said it was rosacea. It was exacerbated
by sunlight. I had this for a year and rosacea creams didn't work.
When my kid got scabies the doc prescribed Acticin, which I think is a
permethrin. We had to put it all over our bodies for about 3-5 days I
think. The rosacea finally cleared up almost over night.  Also a zinc
oxide sunscreen- Walgreen's brand -helps ward off the sun. I hardly
have any problems anymore as long as I use that sunscreen every day.
---
I went through years of using the meds the Doctors described only to
end up with a face that was red, raw and peeling all the time.  I
finally just gave up.  It seemed no matter what I used to clean my
face, moisturize, and and block the sun I reacted to it all.

I now use Rosacea Care products that I buy online and use them
faithfully.  www.rosaceacare.com   Read the labels carefully to make
sure there is nothing in the product that you know you will react to,
and stay away from the sunscreen because it has a wheat product in it.
 I use the face wash, calming lotion and spray, and the face cream as
these seem to soothe and keep my face moisturized.  They have a sample
pack that you can purchase for a very nominal price to try them out
before you buy.  Use your sunscreen every day!  I currently am using
Banana Boat's Sun Wear Faces-Oil Free (SPF30) with great success.

Now for the hard part.  KEEP A FOOD DIARY!  Keep a list of any foods
and beverages that you consume.  Watch for redness and breakouts.
Stay away from alcohol (even gluten free stuff) because it will make
your face WORSE by expanding the little capillaries in your skin at
the surface.  Stay away from anything that you react to or you will
end up with a much worse situation over time.  The redness and blood
vessels at the surface of your skin will start looking like spider
webbing or a road map.  I spent a lot of money trying to make them go
away with laser treatments.  It helped but it did not last.

Also, don't put oils on your face unless you know for sure that you
will not react to that specific oil.  Last time I had a facial the
lady put oil on and it took a year for my face to recover.  AND NEVER
EVER LET THE DOCTOR OR DERMATOLOGIST CONVINCE YOU TO USE STEROIDS TO
CLEAR IT UP!  It will be the biggest mistake you ever make!  You will
look wonderful until you try to stop and then all HE_ _  will break
loose and you will take another year to clear up the eczema it caused.

Rosacea is a hard one to keep under control because so many things can
cause it to rage.  Heat, cold, wind, foods, hot beverages, sun,
alcohol, anything you put on your face with oil in it, etc, etc, etc.
And to make it that much harder each person had their own personal
triggers.  www.rosacea.org is a good place to look for helpful
information and lists of common triggers.  However, remember they are
funded by a major pharmaceutical co. and they push the regular
prescription treatments.