From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 05:15:20 -0400

After perfecting my Bette Hageman's breads (especially the sourdough) it
turns out I have to give up yeast and corn... This wonderful recipe is
adapted from a recipe in The New York Times.

2 cups g f flours:  experiment.
    I use 1/2 c. each lentil, chickpea, rice, and glutinous rice- the
    glutinous rice makes a wonderfully kneadable dough.  I need to knead :)
1 Tbsp sugar (I use about 1/2 Tbsp fructose)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Xanthan gum

Mix together in a mixer with a dough hook.

Add 1 and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lime juice (lemon also works well)
and 1/2 to 3/4 c water to make a dough that separates from the sides of
the bowl and forms a ball (more or less)

Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead.

Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for several hours.
Now comes the fun part.

I slice the dough into 7 slices, separate each slice with plastic wrap
and freeze all but 1 slice, the slice du jour.  (Each subsequent day's
slice gets defrosted overnight in the fridge, or for a couple of hours
at room temp, always wrapped in plastic wrap...)

At lunch time heat a pizza stone (!!!) in a toaster oven (or oven) to
350. Roll out the slice, sprinkled with sesame seeds, cumin powder,
pepper, or whatever you like, between two slices of plastic wrap one of
which has been sprayed with Pam.

Take off one of the wraps and flip the dough onto the hot pizza stone -
this takes practice, but I like the feeling of achievement it gives me.

Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes.  Beware:  If you don't use a timer to
remind you to check on it it will burn, and I never smell it until it is
too late.  It still tastes OK but it is better before it burns.  It
browns on the edges, may be a bit moist in the middle, but it is a
delicious accompaniment to almost everything from soup to sardine salad
to cold chicken.

The pleasure of preparing and eating this bread is far greater than the
trauma of a whole new set of deprivations.  Besides, several pernicious
symptoms have disappeared since I stopped the yeast and the corn. ...
Bon appetit.

Nancy in nyc