From:
Herb Bolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 18:41:37 -0700

>1)It has to be clearly controlled and legislated when the term glutenfree
>can be used by a manufacturer. If any ingredient or any production methods
>indicate the slightest possibility of gluten contamination or glutencontent
>in a product the manufacturer should not be allowed to state that this
>product is glutenfree or use the termonologie in any written or oral
>presentation of such product.

REPLY to Ted's message:

I support the idea of legislation limiting the use of the GF designation.
Those of us who happen to live in the USA will soon have the opportunity to
vote in the upcoming presidential election, and for all Representatives and
for many U.S. Senators.  I personally would be more inclined to vote for a
candidate who supports such legislation (or an equivalent regulation).  If
done in a civil, respectful, non-confrontational manner, I think it might
be a good idea to ask the candidates for these offices precisely how they
stand on this issue. They should be able to say "agree," "disagree," or "no
position."  I don't know how the American presidential candidates stand on
this issue.  Does anyone know?

I would be interested also in finding out if any candidates (or family
members of candidates) are celiacs.  Such candidates would likely have
considerable sympathy for such a government policy.  Other legislators
would tend to listen to such a colleague, when he or she spoke on such an
issue.

HERB BOLZ  :)               *   Davis, California, USA
(personal views ONLY)       *   (between Sacramento and San Francisco)
[log in to unmask]  *     ---city of bikes---