From:
Pat Onstott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:25:41 -0500

For those of you in the Denton, Texas, area.  Here is a restaurant that
I highly recommend.  It is Tia's (Mexican Restaurant) on I-35 in Denton,
Texas.   The first time I visited this restaurant, I did get very sick
(vomiting and diahrea).   I had assumed on some of the menu items that
they would be okay and enjoyed myself...  (big mistake!).   We went back
two weeks later because the food was so good.   This time I asked about
the ingredients and explained I had a strick diet restriction.   The
manager came out with his "book" of ingredients for each dish and went
over what was safe and what was not.  I found out that the reason I had
gotten so violently sick the last time was because they use a arue
(spelling??) in some of the sauces and in the chile con queso (which I
ate a lot of).     But safe is the sour cream sauce, the green sauce,
the enchiladas, beans, and rice.  Also safe is the shrimp (not breaded)
.  For the fajitas (beef) they do use a meat rub and it came to the
restaurant that way and he wasn't sure of the spices used in the rub, so
I skipped the fajitas (just in case).  I had the enchiladas with green
sauce, rice, beans, and a considerable amount of chips and salsa.
Absolutely no problems.  Felt fine and had to ask for a take-out tray
for leftovers.  My daughter had the grilled shrimp with bacon and
jalopena peppers with a side disk of steamed vegetables. and a dipping
buttery garlic oil.  The shrimp were large and very meaty and so GOOD!
This is what I will order next time!   And the margaritas are "to die
for".   I had 2 and could have enjoyed 1-2 more but didn't want a summer
liquor headache, so I stopped at

2. They are SO GOOD there.    The manager was so helpful and encouraged me
to come again and to always ask for the "book" to confirm ingredients for
safety.

I always assumed that cheese dip (chile con queso) would alsways be safe.
But this is apparently not so.  Guess we should never assume and always
ask the manager ("not the waiters/waitresses" per the advice of the
manager).

Pat Onstott
Ag. Program  Human Resources
2162 TAMU
College Station, TX  77843-2162
Phone:  (979) 845-7802       FAX:  (979) 862-4885
Email:  [log in to unmask]