From:
David Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:17:55 -0500

Thanks You for all the replies I have received (30 in all) and since they
have stopped coming it is now time to summarize.

Lots of listmembers said they too had/have high cholesterol and weight
issues.  Many, like myself were like that before diagnosis and are finding
it more difficult now.

Predisposition is definitely a factor.  Even to the extreme of some feeling
that there is nothing that you can do about it!

The majority of replies suggested to lower carbohydrates yet along with that
suggestion came ideas to a)increase fat b)eliminate meat c)increase fibre
d)increase protein e)lower fat & carbs f) eliminate flour g) take
supplements.(Suggestions: Flax seed oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Slo Niacin
and fibre like acidophilus)

Many said add up the ingredients but I haven't made any from scratch yet and
don't know what the fat count for the different GF flours is.  The packaged
one and GF bakery one isn't descriptive as far as quantities so that's no
good and the package has no fat content which is unusual for Canadian laws.
The counts I got for fat grams per slice were: 1.7g, 2.5g, 3g, & 6g. Quite a
difference of opinion!   I called the bakery (Sterk's) and found out she
considers it to be equal to regular BAKERY type bread as the only change is
the type of flour and otherwise she bakes it the same as regular bread.  I'm
not sure if the GF flours are higher or lower in fats still!  If her
statement were true then one slice would be about 1.7 grams of fat.  I could
live with that!  However, I also don't want to fool myself.  I only eat
about 2 slices every two or three days but when your goal is 30 grams of fat
per day, the difference between 1.7 and 6 grams of fat per slice is quite
big.

Some people suggested adding fibre to my diet and exchanging white rice with
brown was one way to help.

Food allergies were suggested.

Muscle weight due to frequent work outs was said to possibly be tricking me
but I have done this for at least 4 years now so no big change.

When baking from scratch lots of substitutions were given:  2 egg whites to
each egg in a recipe, cut down on oil and replace with yogurt or applesauce,
using egg replacers etc.

I guess what I learned is that I'm not the only one.  Many people have high
cholesterol and weight issues.  Just because you are celiac doesn't change
that at all.  The one glitch is that we have less access to information such
as calorie or fat content and it is not considered an issue since the only
one we are expected to par attention to if the Gluten Free aspect of our
life.  I am happy that I'm not the only one fighting to keep my weight at a
reasonable level, again just like lots of other normal people!

BTW...Diets talked about over and over included the Dr. Atkin's Diet and
"Protein Power"

Thanks for all of the input.

Your friend in Canada,
Sharon