From:
Linda Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:39:35 EDT

Hi Everyone. Here is Part 2
Carb Snacks:
Miss Robens carrot or chocolate cake waffles - spray waffle maker w/a fine
mist of olive oil.
Corn bread sticks or muffins
Pamela's or other GF cookies
Tortilla chips, Bearitos, Corn Mini Chips, Terra Blues Potato Chips
Make GF mini-muffins - freeze in ziplocks, send still frozen in lunch-will
thaw by lunchtime
*Tip: replace about 1/2 gf flour in recipe w/finely ground almonds to  provi
de protein,iron &fiber
GF crackers- Edwards & Sons Cheddar Brown Rice Snaps, Blue Diamond  Almond
nut thins
Trader Joes gf soy chips
Nature's Highlight Rice Sticks, Potato sticks, PikNik Original Shoestring
Potatoes
Rice Cakes, Popcorn or Popcorn cakes
Most Frito-Lay made chips
Crunch Toons - a new snack that is hard to find, try CVS Pharmacy. They are
a great replacement for goldfish & come in shapes like bugs bunny &  tweetie -
(Scooby shapes are bbq flavor & are not GF)
Robert's Gourmet, Cheecha Crackles, Rice Sticks
Oreda fries or tater tots heated in morning, are room temp by lunch
w/ketchup to dip
Crackers - Ener-G Gourmet Crackers very close to saltines
Baked Chebe Bread cut into breadsticks
Rice Bran Crackers from Health Valley - make into smores w/marshmallows or
just ice w/vanilla icing & top w/sprinkles
Schar crackers
Corn nuts or corn crunch
Caprices Zebres are a great cookie w/cream in the middle by Glutino
Enviro Kidz Organic Rice Bars -Chocolate, Berry & Peanut butter  flavors
Fat Free or Original Pringles (check GF status)
Ruffles Reduced fat chips, Lays, Fritos
Cereal - in a plastic bag or bowl
Sesame crackers
Hawkins Cheezies
Trail mixes - choc chips, cereals, mini-marshmallows, dried fruit, nuts -
add melted marshmallow & press together to make a granola bar
Tostitos
Sunflower seeds
Cracker Jack - regular and fat-free
Homemade rice krispie treat - the Malt-o-Meal kind, & Rice Flakes by
Arrowhead, reduce the butter & marshmallows by 1/3 each, can use gf cocoa  rice or
corn pops, make thin & use for a bread-like platform
Homemade Granola Bars:
1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBS corn syrup or maple syrup
4 cups buckwheat flakes or corn flakes
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips or favorite dried fruit
Grease 12x9 cookie sheet w/sides. In large pan, heat butter sugars &  syrup
until melted. Stir in remaining ingred. until combined. Spread on cookie  sheet
& press down til surface is smooth. Bake in 325 oven for 30 mins. Cool
before cutting.
Fruit/Veg Snacks:
Fruit suggestions: apples, pineapple, grapes, kiwi, peaches, lums,  fruit
cocktail, orange slices, strawberries, melon chunks
Cut-up fruit - Tip: Orange juice will keep fruit from turning  color
Dipping Ideas: cottage cheese, yogurt, peanut butter (Skippy &  Jif are gf)
gf dressing, honey, gf maple syrup, hummus, bean dip, spinach  dip
Fancy combos: Citrus segments w/pear & pomegranate & apple,  or strawberries.
Bananas w/sprig of mint, jam, or marmalade for added  color
Craisins or raisins
Flavored applesauce - Motts Fruitsations
Del Monte or Hunts gel snack cups, Del Monte fruit smoothies, fruit  cups
Farley's fruit snacks
Fruit snacks or fruit rolls (Anyone know which brands are gf?)
Dried fruit like banana chips
Taro chips/indiv size bags
Frozen berries (thawed) w/Tofutti's Better than Cream Cheese or sugar on  top
Ants on a log - celery w/peanut butter & raisins
Baby carrots, corn from can, chow mein vegetables w/rice noodles and/or  sauce
Small salads - Tips: Romaine lettuce doesn't wilt, pack dressings &  sauces
separate
Carrot curls, & put them in ice to get crispy, add radishes or  olives
Fun Treats:
Genisoy Low Carb Crunch - p.butter, choc, chocchip, raspberry, lemon
Cozy Shack indiv. desserts: rice pudding, tapioca, banana, or chocolate,
even flan
Belsoy soy puddings
GF crispy rice-type bars: Envirokids, Betty's PBKrisppy Rice Bars
Swiss Miss puddings, Imagine puddings
M&M's, chocolate bars, miniature marshmallows, cotton candy
Mix candy corn & peanuts, tastes like a payday
Cocoa or fruity pebbles made as rice krispy treats
Chocolate kisses (homemade of course) or candied orange rind
Nutive seeds & nut bars
Quotes on Importance of Presentation:
    "I'd always put a real napkin & fork &  knife in there ... I sometimes
put little notes in, or a picture, some little  something she wasn't expecting.
And not very often some little sweet, hidden. A  surprise. It's imagining what
it would be like to sit down & eat that three  hours later. It shouldn't just
be an afterthought. It's an effort to show that  kid that you're caring about
them."
    "Sometimes I make rice krispie treats in squares,  sometimes two little
balls on top of a larger for a Mickey Mouse head, sometimes  a cookie cutter to
cut into different shapes, sometimes mini marshmallows or  cho. chips to
outline a shape like a boat or car or flying saucer."
    "It's fun for the kids to have something that is  obviously "normal".
This helps alot."
     "We have bought a "snack" size Pringles  container and Lays bag then
keep refilling the containers with the acceptable  stuff (use a chip clip for the
Lays bag). I slice regular turkey or ham thick  and cut it in a circle so it
looks like lunch meat."
    "Dipping stuff is great - a container of sauce or  ketchup goes a long
way."
Packing Tips:
    Use an insulated bag with a long strap on it.
    Freeze the juice boxes so they will last (from  8-12:00) or add ice
    Buy a new small bowl-shaped thermos (anyone know  where we can get these?)
 Other Useful Tips:
    Steer clear of "cream of" soups, which usually  contain modified food
starch.
    Cook gf pasta well, then rinse it in cold water so  it won't taste grainy.
Websites:
_www.glutenfreemall.com_ (http://www.glutenfreemall.com/)
_www.glutensolutions.com_ (http://www.glutensolutions.com/)
_www.belsoy.com_ (http://www.belsoy.com/)
_www.nuworldfoods.com_ (http://www.nuworldfoods.com/)
_www.123glutenfree.com_ (http://www.123glutenfree.com/)
_www.foodforlife.com_ (http://www.foodforlife.com/)
Book recommended:
Kids with Celiac Disease by Danna Korn. There is a chapter specifically on
quick meal ideas & snacks & these would work for packing in school  lunches.
**Please excuse any repetitions, and thanks to everyone who contributed.
This lunch list will help me alot. I will summarize any additional e-mails I get
on the topic. Linny :-)