From:
Anne Rickaby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:51:41 -0400

Hello everyone.

I've received 8 replies so far to my question about allergy medications to
relieve the sneezing/itchy eyes, runny nose, etc. Since this is timely,
I've decided to do a quick summary for other sufferers even though I expect
to get other replies. Here are the meds they recommend:

- The only type I tolerate is an antihistimine--chloroepherine (sp) malate,
brand name Cholo-Trimeton.

- There is a VERY good product for sinuses and allergies manufactured by
Melaleuca, Inc.   It is called 'Counteract'.

- My daughter has seasonal allergies and uses nasalcrom nasal spray, and
Claritin as needed.  She also uses Bausch and Laumb eye drops.  She has
used Tavest in the past (made her a little sleepy).

- The only one I know for sure is DayQuil.  The manufacturer of the drug
says it is gluten free.  Be careful though, I have not checked out the
generics of this and several of their names are quite similiar and also the
Ni-Quill, the night time
medicine is NOT gluten free

- I have chosen a more herbal rememdy: Alfalfa Tablets.  GF, No Side
effects, CHEAP! I have been buying my Alfalfa from WalMart with any
problems.  I have not specifically checked with the maker.

- There is always Benadryl...

- Chlor-Trimeton Allergy Sinus Tabs or the generic Cold/allergy tabs from
Hannaford Bros. which are
available at Shop n Save Stores on the East Coast.

- I have had really good luck with Claritin, which is a prescription
medication that I know is GF in all of it's forms(it comes in different
strengths and long acting as well as liquid) including the liquid (I know a
CD child on that form of Claritin), Benadryl OTC is also GF, the starch is
cornstarch.