From:
Barbara Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 07:27:46 -0700

Oh yes - we may as well discuss this a bit more.

I recently read a Letter to the Editor in the May 2002 Journal of the
American Dietetic Association pg 637.  The letter was from Kamil
Hozyasz, MD,
Pediatric Dept, National Research Institute of Mother and Child,
Warsaw, Poland.

in Europe.  In Poland, it is recommended that all infants be offered gf
foods until 10 months old and can include "gf" wheat starch containing
baby foods which are manufactured by commercial baby food companies.

Dr. Hozyasz describes the case of a 14 month-old celiac boy who relapsed
with diarrhea and showed villous atrophy amoung other signs of having
ingested gluten.  On eliminating "gf" baby food (containing wheat
starch) all problems began resolving.

This is another case for avoiding wheat starch containing products
albeit the case described a child, who is to say adults are not affected
also.
--

Barb

email address:   "Barb Gardner" <[log in to unmask]>