From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:05:05 -0700

Dear Listmates, Speaking of GF/CF & Fiengold diets for ADD & ADHD kids I
responded:

        >... there is nothing "simple" about the GF, the GF/CF, or the
Fiengold
diets. These regimens are difficult to follow, especially for parents
who are coping with behavior problems, etc....Can anyone blame parents
who would opt for a quick fix? ~Valerie, parent of four sons, two of
which are ADD< Some people assumed by my remarks that my sons are on
medication.  They are not.  My two ADD sons (age 15 & 23) are well
controlled by their own diet and behavior choices.  Both avoid sweets &
other high carbohydrate foods & use prayer & meditation to help
themselves cope with the stresses of life.  They are doing well for
young men with ADD or for young men in today's world period!  My
statement above was only intended to show my understanding & sympathy
for parents whose ADD, ADHD kids are out of control through no fault of
their own.  Thanks to all who responded.  I received some well thought
out & even passionate responses which I have summarized below:

        + I am a Mom to 3 boys and my oldest (13) has always had problems in
school....I put my whole family on the diet 3 weeks ago and guess what?
I have seen a big improvement in my son's grades, homework ethic and even
his temper-and at 13 I'm grateful for any help with puberty. The bonus is
that I got a call from my youngest son's teacher wanting to know if we
have been doing anything different at home because she has seen a vast
improvement in his work at school....I am thanking my lucky stars and
continuing the diet. I think that we should always look to help any way
we can before drugs. ~Ria (from NJ)

        + Diet has not been proven to help ADD/ADHD.  If a diet takes away all
those symptoms then it was not ADD in the first place, the foods just
presented ADD like sympotms, therefore somewith true ADD will still have
the sympotms even on a GF or any other diet.  Someone with true ADD will
need medication (if they choose) to help them along with therapy and
possibly a coach.   do believe that diet can help calm a person down, or
should I say taking away sugar.  I did this for my son when he was in 1st
grade, it helped calm him down to a "normal" level, but his mind was
still jumping from planet to planet, he was not dx with ADD till going
into highschool and that's when he started medication and started to do
great in school,  although when in Kindergarden his pediatrician
suggested we try him on Ritalin, but did give me any infor about it or
ADD so I choose not to medicate him,  I wish I had in some ways cause he
would not have had such a hard time throughout school and I'm glad I
didn't in other ways cause that's what has made him the person he is
today.  I just played the cards I was dealt and got a great hand!  Have
you been to the Attention deficit Disorder's website?  IT has a lot of
good information. The website is www.add.org  ~Donna

        + [My} 13 yr old boy is ADD and severely Learning Disabled,
allergic to
Penicillin and Dust. (He was on Ritalin for 1 yr and it changed his life
for the better dramaticly, diet sometimes isnt enough) The 3rd is an 11
yr old boy. he has Chronic Anemia, several food and environmental
Allergies (incl. dairy), nervous Ticks, exercised induced Asthma, and
Celiac Decease the youngest is a rambunctious 3 yr old girl with none of
the above.(touch wood)  My husband is a severe type 1 diabetic, and
suffers the complications thereof, I too am VERY busy. I know where you
are coming from. ~Karen

        +  Is this justification? My son is diagnosed ADD. Unfortunately, he
lives with his mother who is also a proponent of the quick fix.  Can
anyone 'blame' them when they know better you ask? YES!  My son is on
speed and I don't like it. My behavior as a child was much like his.
While I am not proud of this, I am certainly grateful that I was not
medicated so I could conform to the establishments view of how I should
perform. I have overcome enough challenges, I would not want to add
substance abuse and the long term ill effects of ritalin to that list.

        + My son has celiac as well as an allergy to dairy products.  He
reacts
neurologically to both of these food groups.  As a parent advocate, I
have been very sucessful in working with the school to help parents and
staff understand the effects of diet on behavior.  Because we are a
small, rural district, interventions often have to be documented and
implemented at school to convince parents to try them at home.  It also
doesn't help that the only physician in the area is resistent to the idea
of food allergies (but he also has problems with the idea of TBI altering
behavior, and behavioral management plans for students with ADHD . . .).
Yet the CSE chair and staff are highly dedicated and progress is being
made.  It is hard - but ot can be done.

        + But Valerie, you probably would not be coping with behavior problems
were your sons on this diet.  That would make a huge difference woudnt
it?  Janet

        + I recently started a group called Parent's Dietary Support Group,
and
we meet at Wild Oats in Pasadena, California (not in the dark, yet).
After meetings, Wild Oats provides a tour of the store, with gfcf
shopping advisors available in store.  Would this kind of thing help your
friends who have ADHD children?  Mardena