Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:41:53 EST

 Question: Can anyone tell me if rifaximin 200mg is gluten free? Has anyone
found it helpful in treating celiac disease?     I       was referring to
treating unresponsive celiac disease even when following a gluten free diet.
they relasped a few week s later.
    One person said the only treatment for celiac disease is a gluten free
diet.
    One person said to go to www.glutenfreedrugs.com to find out if it is
gluten free
    One person said it is used to treat infections due to dirty drinking
water.   she feels it will not help celiac disease since it is not caused by an
infection.
    One person took it.   The first time she took it she was found it
slightly helpful. The second time she felt worse.
    It is used for people who have bacterial overgrowth in the small
intestine.   this person said it was   helpful to some of her celiac friends.
    After posting my question I called Salix pharmaceuticals and they said
rifaximiin does not contain gluten.
Thank you for all your responses.
Lorraine