Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:21:13 +0000

Ladies and Gentlemen in the list!
I am reading carefully most posts on the list and many times I read such
statement: My husband, not celiac ? or referring to other people as ?not
celiac? I think that require some discussion among us to make clear if
statement ?not celiac? is justified. Many recognized sciences agree, that is
not as easy to tell anyone, that he or she is "not celiac?, despite many or
no symptoms. I challenging all of you, include professionals to make once
for ever clear, if statement : not celiac is justified.
By Carol E. Semrad, M. D.
There is no test yet which is definitively diagnostic of celiac disease.
Relief of symptoms or reversion of an abnormal intestinal biopsy to normal
on a gluten-free diet is the most convincing evidence that an individual has
celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Intestinal biopsies as discussed above
show characteristic findings compatible with celiac disease but are obtained
just as often to exclude other intestinal conditions, most importantly
infection, which can have a clinical presentation similar to celiac disease.
According an other sources, mammal?s digesting system is not equipped to
digest gluten and is not advisable to feed any mammal with wheat. Are we
exception?
Kevin,
Toronto, Canada