Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:17:42 -0600

Thank you to all of you who responded.  Sorry this is late.  I realize
that we made a mistake when ordering at the restaurants.  We just asked
the egg to be cooked in a pan, but we could of asked if they would clean a
portion of the grill.  Opps!  I understand that eggs might be cooked on
that part alone, but since eating out is a new experience, we were
concerned with contamination from non-gf foods in omelets( spilled on the
grill).  Better safe than sorry.  Especially when it a long car ride back
home.

Here are the responses.  I hope this helps others.  I know it gave us more
insight and a willingness to try again.  The original post is at the end.

-----------------------

The restaurants you tried could not accommodate your requests for an
omelet, but they may have had on hand hard-boiled eggs which they could
have served you.  Many restaurants will have them for their salads.  Plus,
the egg cooked in its shell is self-contained, and less likely a problem
with cross-contamination in the kitchen.  I always travel with an ice
chest -- even just a small one as a carry-on, if we're flying somewhere.

I make GF muffins ahead of time, and freeze them, and take enough to have
two for breakfast for each day, if it's a shorter trip.  I've recently
started taking hard boiled eggs from home.  The frozen muffins help keep
the ice chest contents cool, until we check into a hotel, where I can
replace the ice nightly.  If possible, I do transfer the food to a room
refrigerator if one is available.  I've also pre-packed baggies with
cereal mixed with plain nuts and/or raisins, dried fruit bits, etc.  This
dry granola is good even without milk, which I don't tolerate -- this
doesn't need refrigeration if the car doesn't get too hot, usually.

-------------------------------

We have had very good luck with lunch or dinner meals at restaurants, but
haven't really tried to order breakfast out.  If we are in a position
where we have to eat breakfast out, my husband carries his own cold cereal
and orders milk, decaf coffee, and juice if he can be sure it is 100%
juice.  Sometimes, we will also carry a banana or raisins for his cereal.
We travel quite a bit, so we purchased one of those coolers that plug into
the cigarette lighter in the car and we take along anything that we think
he might need.  We have had good luck with lunches at Wendy's -- you can
order the chili and a baked potato with toppings and a frosty.  Culvers
also has several items that you can order -- their two salads with chicken
in them are GF as is their custard.  We also have eaten at Boston Market.
We ate the chicken, spinach, and mashed potatoes.  I'm not real fond of
their food, but if you have to eat and that is all that is around, it is
ok.  Also, Lone Star Steakhouse is very accommodating, as is the Outback
Steakhouse.

----------------------------------

I eat at Perkins frequently and always stress that my omelet (the only
thing I order) has to be cooked on the clean part of the grill.  They
assured me that they clean the grill well before putting the egg on.  I
also get mushroom swiss omelet-I ask them to use fresh mushrooms only(not
canned) and only cook with butter or oil, salt and pepper ( no margarine).
For sides they give me fresh fruit and applesauce.  It works out well for
me.

---------------------------------

I am newly diagnosed and was thrilled to learn that I can have the chili
at Wendy's, or a baked potato.  Not great, but when you bring your own
crackers or margarine.

---------------------------------

I usually order poached eggs when I eat breakfast out (I like them poached
hard) and bring a slice of bread or muffin in a baggie.  If asked they
will warm your bread in microwave still in wrapper.  Of course, fruit is
always good.

---------------------------------

Could any of the restaurants boil water?  Eggs in shells are probably as
gf as you can get.  That plus his own rice crackers?  Also, I don't know,
but if the place is 24 hours, could they give him a baked potato from the
dinner menu instead of fried breakfast potato?  Fruit salad?

-------------------------------

A lot of times I take my gf cereal with me to a restaurant and ask for a
bowl and milk. I order fresh fruit which most restaurants have on the
menu.

I order eggs all the time at restaurants with no problems. I take my own
rice cakes with me and eat them with the eggs. I just talk to the
waiter/waitress about being careful with contamination. You have to being
explicit about no toast or rolls on your plate because a lot of times
they'll put it on your plate without asking.

------------------------------

For breakfast, it is the cheap little greasy spoon neighborhood
restaurants that cook eggs and bacon from scratch.  Or buy packets of
instant grits and add boiling water (assuming he can eat corn).  I also
travel with a tiny mountaineer stove, a small stainless pan, and Cream of
Rice cereal, along with currants for some flavor.

----------------------------

I'm the owner of 5 restaurants, one of them in shopping mall.  The price
or location by square foot is so high, the kitchens are the tiniest as
possible and have no place to store what we don't need everyday.  I never
eat at fast food restaurants anywhere.  I own 4 of them and bring my own
food there.  They don't have experimented cooks, they are mostly very
young.  In my Italian one, dining room style, I have a few GF meals on the
menu.  They are aware of the importance of cross contamination.  When
eating out, I choose a good restaurant, (not fast food), call in advance
during their quiet time, usually in afternoon, and make arrangements with
the chef.  I fax them the diet explanation.  When we go shopping or when
in vacation and exploring, we always bring our lunch in a soft cooler.
Much tastier, cheaper.

--------------------------

I have eaten at Denny's about 10 times in the last 2 years, with no
problem (NC, VA, FL, IN).  I always order the vegetable omelet (with hash
browns) or ground beef with baked potato.  Not much variety, but it
satisfies my hunger and desire to eat GF.  It is their policy to serve
bread on the side (I always request it anyway), which I give to my wife.
Also never a problem with Wendy's chili, baked potato, salad, frosty, in
dozens of attempts.  I have tried Perkins twice, ordering an omelet once
and GB+BP once - both times with no reaction.  I am gradually coming to
the conclusion that most (except fast-food) restaurants can comply with
our requirements if you show them the restaurant card and tell them you
need things PLAIN.  IHOP is a thumbs down for me.  I also have eaten OK at
Logan's Roadhouse and Sagebrush several times in the last 2 years.  Both
have peanuts on the table.  I bring my own bread and salad dressing to
restaurants.

--------------------------

Although the most accommodating have been pricier, Burger King has been
the exception - they were more than willing to make plain eggs with cheese
for my son - in a pan and/or in the microwave (depending on the store).
Also, non-mall restaurants seem more helpful - particularly the smaller
ones in rural areas!!!  Food courts/mall restaurants have been the least
helpful.

-------------------------

I try to stick to the "diner" type of restaurants, especially for
breakfasts.

-------------------------

I eat breakfast just about anywhere, and so long as I stick to eggs and
hash browns, I have only had slight trouble once, at Perkins I think.  If
someone is very sensitive, however, they may not be able to get by with
this.  It's lunch I have problems with.  Pretty much just chef's salads.

------------------------

I just order an omelet usually with beaters, leave the cheese off, hash
browns, and coffee.  It's also possible they may have their hash browns
dusted with flour to make them whiter, I've heard.  But I've never run
into it in five years.

----------------------

I travel on business about 3 weeks a month (therefore I eat out quite a
lot) and Perkins (plus Denny's) are one of my favorite restaurants to go
for breakfast - especially if I am in an omelet mood!  I have never had
problems with contamination from any food at Perkins.  They also are more
than willing to cook sandwiches for me when I bring my 2 slice package
from EnG foods in.

---------------------

VERY difficult to eat out.

I have been trying to eat out from time to time for almost 10 years.  So
many times when I thought it would be OK and the restaurant told me that
certain items were OK, I still got sick.  I rarely eat out, because I just
hate to feel awful.  Restaurants mean well, but so few people really
understand all ramifications of this disease.  The few places where I can
eat safely are steak houses.  But I still have to be extra careful.  I
know this is a bummer to hear, and it was a bummer to decide that
restaurant eating, for me anyway, is very, very difficult.