From:
Christine Egli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Egli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:41:28 -0500

I'm happy to report we will be able to provide free screening for Celiac Disease at the Got Guts 5K on September 14 in Austin, Texas.

Below is a bit more information on the screening and the race.  If you don't see your question answered, please let me know and I'll address it on the Got Guts 5K web site FAQ as soon as we have the answer.

Got Guts Celiac Screening Q&A

Will you offer free Celiac Screening at the Got Guts 5K?
Yes, thanks to a generous donation by Prometheus Labs and the Binding Site, and involvement from Dr. Lubin of Austin Gastroenterology in helping distribute the results, we can provide free screening for 300 people.  Also thanks to our legal team from Strasburger and also Maureen Dolan and our volunteer nurses for their support.  And one more thanks to Gluten free Keads for helping us arrange this screening!  I'm impressed with just how many hands are involved in bringing this free screening to the community.

What if I'm a volunteer at the race, can I still qualify for free Celiac screening?
Yes, we appreciate our volunteers and they are definitely entitled to free screening.

How does the screening work?
We have several nurses who have agreed to volunteer collect blood draws at the Got Guts event.  We'll ship the samples to Prometheus Labs in California and the results will be sent to Dr. Lubin for appropriate distribution to the participants via mail.

How long until we receive the results?
Results should be available within a few weeks or a month at the longest.

What if there aren't enough tests?
We have 300 tests and we believe that will be enough for everyone who wants to be screened.  In case there are more than 300 people who would like screening, priority will be given to those who register and volunteer earliest for the Got Guts 2008 event.

I'm from out of town, can I still come to the Got Guts 5k and receive the screening?
Yes, you will receive your results via mail or phone.

Where can I find out more about the Prometheus test?
We will use the Prometheus Serology test which is an initial screening test for Celiac Disease and for those already diagnosed, a useful check to see if you are compliant with a gluten-free diet.  Here is a link to their patient brochure.  The value of this test is approximately $300.
http://prometheuslabs2007.egofactory.com/Resources/Celiac/CeliacTesting_Patient_Info.pdf

Why should I get screened for Celiac Disease?
If you have undiagnosed Celiac, you are at risk for developing serious health conditions and damaging your digestive system. Celiac Disease affects one in 133 Americans and most are not diagnosed.  Many will have no symptoms.

What can I do to help with Got Guts 5K Run, Walk and Food Fair?
You can register and participate in the activities on September 14.  Or you can volunteer by sending an email to Mary Negus [log in to unmask]

What if I can't attend in person, but want to support the event?
If you cannot attend in person, you can still show support by registering for the "sleep in" option.  We'll mail you the race t-shirt and you can know you contributed to a worthy cause.  You can also invite your out-of-town family members/friends who support your gluten-free lifestyle to register for the sleep-in option.  Or you can mail a donation to:  Got Guts 5K, P.O. Box 941, Austin, TX 78767-0941

Are there massages at the finish line?
Yes!  Free massages, courtesy of Advanced Rehab

Are all the foods at the finish line gluten-free?
Yes!  We want our gluten-free participants to enjoy an event without the usual drill of 50 questions and reading every label.
.
I'm not a runner, should I come to Got Guts?
Sure! Many people come out to enjoy the food fair and skip the exercise. Register for the Food Fair Only option. The Food Fair is a great opportunity to try new gluten-free foods without having to buy in quantity.

I missed Got Guts last year, what was it like?
If you missed Got Guts last year, you can check out the pictures here.

How can I invite my favorite company, gluten-free restaurant or product to be involved in the food fair?
To join the food fair the cost is minimal ($20 to cover table rental or free if they have their own table/tent). Contact Christine Egli [log in to unmask]

Sincere thanks to our fantastic sponsors and volunteers!

Christine

Christine Egli
Alamo Celiac GIG Volunteer
Event Co-Director, Got Guts 5K Run, Walk, and Gluten-free Food Fair
512.484.8642 mobile

www.gotguts5k.com