From:
Mary Rosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:05:08 EDT

Hi All!

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I will summarize:

four people suggested Dr. Fine. His web site is: www.finerhealth.com
It is interesting to note that my own doctor suggested Dr. Fine also.

Several of you said that with the blood test and the response to the gluten
free diet was enough to make the diagnosis. I have the blood test and I
tested positive for celiac. My doctor said that with that and the diet
response I can get the tax deductions for the food.

One person said there was no need for another biopsy. (since I have already
had two biopsies done) And I agree!

Three members said that it may be possible to heal the Barrett's while on the
diet. It can take several years. But it is well worth it.

Many of the list members wanted to know about Barrett's esophagus.
About Barrett's:

It is the result of long term GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) And it
can be found during endoscopy. GERD can lead to Barrett's which in turn can
lead to a much higher risk of esophageal cancer.

The sign of Barrett's is when the healthy tissue lining of the esophagus
changes from it's normal pink color to a salmon color. This process is
called dysplasia. There is a low grade and high grade dysplasia with the
high grade being the highest risk of turning into cancer Barrett's is
uncommon. But once it has developed, there is a 30-125-fold increased
risk of developing this type of cancer. Medicine to keep he acid down in
the stomach is the choice of treatment. However, surgery is also an
option. It is very difficult to have the surgery and should be avoided
if that is possible. That is my personal opinion. So, knowing that the
gluten free diet has a positive effect on the healing of Barrett's is a
life saver for me.  Thank you all for your wonderful responses!

Mary-Rosser/Central TX.