From:
onn karny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 22:18:40 -0400

Dear members,

My name is Estede and I just joined the Celiac Mail List, I am 25 years old
and I live in Canada.

My mother has been suffering from CD and was diagnosed 19 years ago. As for
me, after inconclusive opinions of doctors I was self-diagnosed in January 2
/98.

In the first few months I was over whelmed by what was happening to my body
and my mind.

Although my family and I thought I was on a gluten free diet, we were
actually missing the hidden gluten in varied products. My husband after many
months of seeing me suffer and loosing more and more weight decided to
search for answers to this hidden decease and while searching came across a
road of recovery. I was shocked to see how many people had written my story
time and time again.

With all the information that we have gathered so far we have learned so
much, but most importantly we have learned that education is the key to this
decease.

I am happy to join and read all your stories and information that everyone
has provided and we would like to contribute as much as we can about what we
know and feel about this unforgiving decease.

Here are some tips that we found helped me and my mom cope with CD:

1. Read all labels extensively.
2. Beware of cross contamination.
3. Believe in your self and what you and your body feels.
4. Don't let people around you tell you that you are crazy, anorexic or
   bulimic.
5. Find positive people that can support your new situation and believe in
   the existence of this decease.
6. Don't ever give up and remember - "Celiac does not forgive you....., you
   must forgive it."

Also, I purchased these GF products in Canada, but maybe you can find them
in your country, I find that these products have helped my mom and I a great
deal:

1. Dainty (long grain instant rice) - excellent!!
2. Tamari - Gluten free, Wheat Free, non-fermented, No alcohol added - Very
   Tasty!
   In. (water, hydrolyzed soy protein, sea salt, apple cider vinegar, corn
   syrup solids, pure caramel from cane juice) also Canadian diabetes
   association food choice value- Excellent!!!
3. E.D Smith - strawberry and red raspberry.
4. Pure honey comb Honey.
5. Oetker Simply Simmer (Garden Gumbo). In. - Dried Vegetables, Kidney
   beans, Tomatoes, Onions, Okra, Zucchini, Red peppers, Celery, Rice, Salt,
   Glucose Solids, Potato Starch, Vegetable oil, Yeast extract, Dried parsley,
   Disodium Insinate, Disodium Guanylate, Color, May contain Sulfites, Silicon
   Dioxide.  - Product of Canada  100% Gluten Free!!
6. I recommend for Adults and Children a GF manufacturer called "Tracy's
   Treats", (Tracy and her two Daughters suffer from Celiac Decease) -
   Excellent Food!!!    Tel: 1-905-662-6764.

We hope that you will find these tips useful and our story helpful.
Please let us know your tips and stories.

P.S. - Do any of you find that weather affects CD? (Stronger symptoms as if
you ingested gluten)- please let us know.