From:
David Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 1996 17:03:00 -0500

I contacted Celestial Seasonings in reference to their herbal teas last
year.  Their written reply, dated 11/2/95, stated:

"Person that have reactions to gluten should avoid consuming any wheat,
barley, oats or rye.  Some Celestial Seasonings' products contain roasted
barley and/or roasted barley malt.  These are always listed on the label
when present."

The letter also stated:

"Another potential issue concerning some gluten-sensitive individuals is
natural flavors.  Some ingtredients in natural flavors are derived from
grain products, for example, alcohol and maltodextrins.  Any gluten that
would be in a cup of brewed tea would be extremely dilute.  If you are
concerned about trace amounts of grain products, you may want to avoid any
food with natural flavors."

The letter was signed by Mike Gross (Quality Assurance Manager) and Jim
Pellouchoud (Consumer Services).  Their number is 1-800-351-8175.

Personally, I avoid their flavored teas.  I do drink their non-flavored
teas (Sleepy Time, Chamomile, others) that do not list "natural flavors."

Dave Nelson
New Orleans