From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:22:04 -0500

Sorry folks, I just couldn't pass this one up.

Reese concluded "there are definitely more of us with low sex drives".

Now I can understand why people who have tummy aches, anemia, depression, or
who have to run to the bathroom every five minutes might be less interested
in sex than others. But, healthy celiacs who stay on the gluten-free diet
should not have those problems and, in the absence of other factors should
have the same range of sex drive as the general population.

As celiacs, we need to be careful about drawing conclusions that other
conditions are related to CD. If I were to post "I have celiac disease and
satyriasis (very high sex drive), does anyone else have this condition?" I
would very likely get some positive replies. Concluding that CD is related
to satyriasis by counting positive responses to an internet post would most
certainly not be valid. Just as there are satyrs in the general population,
we could expect a few in the sub-population of celiacs.

Nonetheless - another good reason to stay on the diet.

Joel