Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:49:47 -0400

Thanks to all who replied to my query regarding eating out in Portland Maine.
I have decided I will be eating lots of Lobster and other seafoods
(yum-yum) as well as to pack some food from home.

Thanks again.

A few of you have requested a summary.

-------------------------

For a celiac haven, go to Lois' All Natural - a store in Scarborough (just
outside Portland) which is overflowing with GF foods and even a small cafe
that always offers freshly made GF goodies

-------------------------

I would suggest you to go to this other excellent site:
http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtagiliac&nav=messages
and ask your questions there.

Very caring and knowledgeable people there to answer your questions.

-------------------------

I just ask the waitress to ask the chef/cook if anything has wheat/glutton
in it. Most are pretty good giving you a good answer. I find one of my
biggest problems is French frys... they always so no there isn't any wheat
on them and I can see a dusting of something. They say it is spices...
there is wheat also on them. I always ask to see a French fry before eating
it.

-------------------------

Romano's Macaroni in South Portland (rear of the Mall) is most helpful
in preparing a meal. I have not done so but am told they will (if not
busy) cook your gluten free past if you bring it in to them. I have
eaten there many times and have had no problem. As a matter of fact
when I mention that I am gluten intolerant most restaurants seem to bend
over backwards trying to be helpful. Good Luck and Welcome to Maine!

-------------------------

..... had a pleasant experience at Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe 23 Forest Ave.
near Congress (downtown).
http://yellowpages.mainetoday.com/restaurants/profile.html?restaurant=30

.......I called them and they said they would be able to accommodate me. I
gave my restaurant card to the waiter, and the chef reviewed everything. I
chose from the menu and they adjusted what needed to be adjusted.
For dessert, the waiter came and told me what I was able to have.
This restaurant has a great intimate atmosphere and everything is prepared
fresh.

Hope this helps you with you travels.

PS, There is a health food store called Lois's Natural Marketplace 152
Route 1, Scarborough, ME 04074 (207) 885-0602 They had a good selection
of GF Bagels, Breads, etc. They are on Route 1 on the way from Portland
to Old Orchard beach or vice versa depending which way you are coming from.

-------------------------

.....the following two restaurants that specialize in sea food have been
great. Both are located on the ocean and have a nice atmosphere if you are
looking for that.

The Falmouth Sea Grill in Falmouth Foreside, Me. Just north of Portland off
route 88. About 10- minutes from downtown Portland.

Joe's Boathouse at the very east end of Broadway in South Portland. Also 10
minutes from downtown in South Portland. Wait staff have been informative
at each and the food at Joes is cooked in it's own skillet.

Enjoy your visit.

-------------------------

There is alot of seafood in Maine. You could be safe with broiled scallops,
baked haddock without any breading, steamed lobster, steamed shrimp. You can
always find a good steak also. Salads are great too and you can usually ask
for grilled chicken to top your salad. Remember to state no croutons...

I've eaten out more away then locally since my diagnosis. BUT, I have eaten
several times at Beal St Grille in South Portland. They have Memphis style
bar b que - used to travel to Memphis and it is a treat. Good ribs and
chicken. They have dirty rice which is gluten free. The cornbread is to die
for but is now just a memory - anyone else in your party will enjoy. The bar
b que sauce does have vinegar so it depends on your attitude toward vinegar.
The National Celiac's chapter says vinegar is okay if distilled in US - the
local chapter is more conservative. I have not had any reaction to the small
amount of vinegar in bar b que sauce but I do stay away from salad dressings
as it is more concentrated.

I would also recommend the Old Port Tavern for steak. You can get a good
steak, salad and potato - nothng fancy just good food.

If you are in the Sebago Lake area, Charlie Beigg's will make your meal
anyway you want. Good selection of steak and seafood.

Many tourist visit DiMillo's restaurant on Commercial Street in Portland. It
is a floating boat restaurant overlooking Casco Bay. Again, lots of chicken,
steak and seafood. They are a big restaurant and I am sure they would
prepare your meal anyway you want.

Near the Maine Mall, there is Sebago Brewing Pub. They understand Gluten
Free and will help you out. Tough to go to a brewery and not indulge! But
anyone with you would probably enjoy the vast selection of local micro brews.

Also near the Maine Mall is a chain restaurant called Panera's. It's a
little tortuous since it is a bakery and restaurant and specializes in
Bagels, Breads and Frocasia. But they have excellent salads. They are quite
busy at lunch time.

Most of the local restaurants seem to fry their french fries in the same
fryolator as other breaded products, so make sure you ask first and see if
they will substitute a baked potato or other item.