From:
Margery Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:05:53 EST

Dear Listmates- Thanks for the many wonderful responses to my request for
ideas for a gf wedding cake.  I am including some excerpts here.  For the
record, my future sister-in-law has decided to go with the crustless
cheesecake idea.  I chose a smaller bakery and talked to the owner/baker and
told her about the need for a gluten free cake.  We provided the unusual
ingredients that were needed and the recipe we wanted her to use -- it was
Bette Hagman's "Yellow Velvet Cake" from More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet.
She assured us that she would carefully clean all surfaces, utensils, and
pans prior to their use and keep all wheat flour away from our cake.  Since
it was a one woman show, we knew she could do it.  OUR cake was a single
layer cake.  We had a larger, three-layer cake made the traditional way for
our guests.  >>

Carol Fenster's new book "Special Diet Celebrations" This book has menu's
for Wedding Breakfast's,Wedding Reception Dinners, Wedding Reception Buffets
and six recipes for Wedding Cakes!  You can order the book directly from
Carol Fenster for $18.95 at Savory Palate,Inc.  8174 South Holly, Suite 404,
Littleton,Colorado 80122-4004.  Her phone is (303) 741-5408, FAX (303)
741-0339.  If You just want a cake recipe, she has a wedding cake recipe at
her web site:  www.ReadersNdex.com/specialdiet >>

You will get some recipes for wedding cake that are tolerable but no more
then the top layer should be GF as it is too apt too fall apart.  >> A member
of my support group used 'Cause Your Special Co' cake mixes for a wedding
cakes, and they have both chocolate and yellow cakes mixes.  This company has
many more mixes.  You can email them at [log in to unmask], web page
www.causeyourespecial.com>>

Made about 100 mini loaf cakes topped w/ powder sugar for my son's backyard
wedding this summer.  Served w/ fresh fruit & frozen custard--That's what the
bride & groom wanted.  Every loved them.  (One lady was going to get rice
flour & make them herself, not even celiac!)  Enjoy.  Bev in Milwaukee

Whipped Cream Cake
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 Grease an 8x12 inch pan.

 Sift dry ingredients:
   1 1/2 c. oriental rice flour
   2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
   1/4 tsp. salt

 Whip until stiff:
   1 c. cold whipping cream
     (can also use Rich's Whip, but reduce sugar)

 Add:
   2 eggs
   1 c. sugar
   1 tsp. g.f. vanilla
 Continue beating until no longer gritty.

 Add dry ingredients,  Blend w/ wire whisk.
 Pour into prepared pan.
 Tap on counter to remove air bubbles.
 Bake 30-45 min, or until it tests done.

 Top w/ cinnamon sugar while still warm or cool well & frost.
 Better the second day & freezes well.

I worried about the whipped cream at first but it has the same calories as
if one uses 1/2 c. butter & 1/2 c. whole milk, but is SO much easier.  You
can  make a double recipe in a deep (2") 9X13 pan.  I don't do the sifting
& I mix  dry ingredients in w/ the mixer.  It freezes well & is actually
better the 2nd  day--if it lasts that long. (Work best in pam-ed pans instead
of paper liners.) I've made multiple recipes (double recipe, 4 times) and
make sheet cakes for special occassions for my celiacs sons.  The secret
ingredient is  the fine white rice flour from the oriental grocery.
(credit The Joy of Gluten-Free Cooking by Jaunita Kisslinger) >>

I found a wonderful baker that took a basic white cake gf.  recipe and made a
three tier cake.  She even made sure the frosting was gf too.  I had sat down
with her and went over the whole thing and the importance of it all.  I
provided her with all the ingredients.  It was easier for me to get them and
it made me feel more safe.  The cake turned out great.  >>

For my son's wedding we had cheesecakes, several layers, each a different
flavor, nested in tulle in like a waterfall cascade.  It was dramatic and
fantastic.  The crust can be made very successfully from pecans, butter and
sugar>>

Go to this site  www.savorypalate.com/index.htm ,  Click on
recipes and then click on wedding cake.  It looks fabulous.>>

contact Alaine's Bakery in Los Angeles for info>>

had a regular cake, but the very top was a gf cheese cake so he could enjoy a
piece with everyone else.>>

I used dietary specialties cake mix.  It was great.>>

there is a bakery in the Mid-Michigan area that prepares gluten free wedding
cakes.  The owner is a celiac.  This bakery supplies cakes and other baked
goods to functions hosted by the Governor of the great state of Michigan.
E-mail me if you need additional information.>>

http://www.thevision.net/maxwell/html/celiac.html>>

For my wedding the caterer made a cheesecake.
It had no crust and was covered with a
whipped cream-like icing.  There was fruit
sauce to go on it too.  It can't be stacked
like a traditional wedding cake so several
clear plastic stands of different heights were
used to display the pieces of it (have to have
more than one to feed a typical wedding crowd).
I had checked the recipe and all it's ingredients
with the caterer before hand and all was made
safe.  It went over well too... the wheat eaters
didn't miss a thing.>>

For our wedding we had a Hazelnut
Torte made.  It was amazing - and incredibly simple to make>>