From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 15:32:25 GMT

Permission was obtained from Sappro US to reprint this update to our
discussion on Sappro Beer.  A special thanks is extended to one of our
Listmembers for obtaining this information which supports the claim
that no beer derived from a toxic grain is likely GF.

Before you ask:  When details on the two GF beers under development
become available, they will be announced on this List.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA

~~~~~~
The following is a response from Sapporo Breweries, Ltd.:

As you advised us on the E-mail, if even such smaller enzymatic-
degradation substances from barley protein, and also heat-denatured
protein might harm celiac patients, it is reasonable to accept your
suggestions.

Generally, the beer brewed from malt contains amino acid, peptide, and
protein.  This means possibility of hordein and it's degradation
residue in the beer.  Our brewing process is just traditional as well
as many other breweries, so that our beer might contain some
degradation residues of barley proteins.  We would investigate
scientific literature that relates with barley proteins ourselves.  And
we will inform some possibility about this matter to people who contact
with our customer information on this matter.

If you have some further information, please let us know more.
Thank you for your information, again."

Hideya Takashima
General Manager
Production & Technology Department