From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 01:36:41 -0700

     I was standing outside one of Manhattan's great pastry shops with
my nose pressed against the window, whimpering with desire for all the
delicious treats on display, now forever beyond my reach, when
somebody tapped me on the shoulder. It turned out to be a friend I
hadn't seen for a long time. She immediately demanded to know what on
earth I was doing.
     I must have been more than usually convincing as I poured out my
tale of celiac woe - or I must have been an entirely pathetic sight -
for after some thought she offered to set to work and attempt to bake
me GF versions of tarte tatin (apple tart made with puff pastry) and
my favorite eclairs and gougeres (cheese puffs). She said it would be
her good deed for the year.
     She is a fantastic and fanatic cook, the kind who sleeps with
yeast starters under her pillow to keep them at the precise
temperature - or something equally ridiculous - but she has no
experience with the flours we use. Neither do I, really, because I
know my culinary limitations, and baking has always been beyond me.
     Can any of the experienced bakers who belong to this list give me
any pointers on how to make puff pastry, pastry cream and cream puffs?
Is it in fact possible to make them gluten-free? I will pass on any
information to my friend immediately - I want to strike while the iron
is hot and she is still in this Girl Scout mood. I have the feeling
that it is going to be a lot more work than she thinks.
                                  regards to all,
                                    Mary in NYC