From:
rosa olshevsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:48:31 -0800

I have a question to people who never been diagnosed:  i face the
problem many of you had:  to eat gluten to be diagnosed or not to
eat.  I visited a very good private GE who diagnosed me with 'severe
gluten sensitivity'.  I was supposed to have an endoscopy on Monday
to prove celiac.

But my insurance refused to pay for it since the doctor is not on
it's list (the total price is $5000).  So i need to make an appt.
with another doctor now (first available 01/07/00), and hopefully to
have an endoscopy in more than a month.  I'm told to eat gluten or
otherwise the biopsy will not show anything.  I feel awful now (i
have been on a gf diet for 6 weeks before and felt really good); i
hardly can make myself eat one wheat cracker a day.  So i don't know
how to survive this month.

I read a lot in archives how important it is to be diagnosed.  I
don't have some problems described as reasons:  my family supports
me; my doctor will run blood tests for my son.  What i worry about is
a medical record:  is it necessary to be diagnosed to have insurance
pay for gf drugs?  Does it make a real difference during a hospital
stay (i feel it's difficult to get gf meal there anyway).

Have you been in a situation you were sorry you never been diagnosed?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Rosa