Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:28:32 EST

Hi all,

       An Associated Press article referring to celiac disease appeared in
the early edition of Sunday's Washington Post.  Unfortunately, the article
was bumped for one on genetically modified corn in the final edition, so it
does not appear on the Post's web site.  This is the second time the same
article appeared in the early edition but got bumped.  Last time it was
bumped for an article on the Snow Storm of the Century (that of course, never
materialized).

       The good news is that the article indicates that about one in every
250 Americans has celiac disease.  This corresponds with the latest research
from the University of Maryland, and shows that at least some journalists are
doing their research (now, if only my first GI would have done his!).

       For those of you interested, the article is about the group of Montana
farmers who are proposing to form a food co-op to market a "native western
grass called Indian rice grass."    The idea for the crop came from research
conducted at Montana State University where they discovered that Indian rice
grass contains no gluten.  The article states that the co-op has started a
membership drive, but funding has not been lined up.  They expect to enter
the market in the fall of 2002 with a plant in Ronan and headquarters in
Bozeman, Montana.  The article does not give contact information, but
identifies organic farmer John Sheldon of the Kalispell area as one of the
co-op members.

       I apologize if this has been discussed on the list previously.  I just
recently rejoined the list and thought this might be of interest.  If
somebody has additional information, I will be glad to summarize and post.

                                                 Jim S.