From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:39:30 -0400

I just spoke with Meal Mart which makes kosher frozen dinners, deli
meats, sausages, etc. Their phone number is 1-800-328-4528.

I was told by their consumer relations department "we as a manufacturer
cannot guarantee that our products are gluten free". This is what they
indicted they were told to tell consumers by the VP for R&D. When I
asked what was the problem I was told they could not guarantee the gf
status of the spices.

I don't like that type of answer. So I called back and ended up speaking
with the VP for R&D. Apparently the above was not exactly what he wanted
us told (I said the type of answer that I got makes me feel like the
company doesn't give diddly for the consumer). He explained that he was
concerned there will be cross contamination at the point the meat is
being mixed since the same vats/rooms are used for products with gluten.
Therefore he could only recommend the deli that is a whole muscle ie.
Corned Beef, Pastrami, their grass feed beef products. They are
currently reviewing their procedures & should have implemented any
changes by next summer. We agreed I would recontact him next summer to
see what changes have occurred and which products he will be comfortable
saying are gluten free.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA