From:
"J.V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:24:41 -0700

Friends,

In order to put a human face on the problem that we face with labeling,
I am collecting stories about people's experiences seeking information
about gluten content in food, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics.

This information could be used to help convince legislators in the US
that we need requirements for manufacturers to provide labeling for
gluten content.  As you know, this would make our lives much simpler!!

I am interested in the good, the bad and the ugly.  The good - to
document companies who provide information responsibly and who realize
this doesn't cause them economic hardship - its good business!  The
bad - to show how some companies are misinformed, vague, or
inconclusive, making it difficult to know what is safe to consume.  The
ugly - to show companies that sidestep the question, mislabel, or are
otherwise irresponsible.

I know there are lots of emails on the listserve  that pertain to this
in some way -- but if you could share one or two of your most memorable
stories, it would really help.

I am also interested in estimates of how much time you spend per week
checking on gluten content.  Think of all the productive work time that
is spent tracking down safe foods, drugs, and cosmetics!

I will forward the information I receive to the folks leading the
legislative charge in Congress and will also provide a summary  if you
like.

Thanks.

Jackie in AZ