From:
Betty Jodrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:43:50 -0500

Hi,
Someone had a question about the coloring used in the Land 'O Lakes butter.
I did send a note asking for an explanation.  Their reply is below.

Betty in Ohio

Your inquiry was concerning the source of the annatto coloring used in LAND O
LAKES(r)  Butter.  The coloring used is an extract from the seed of the
annatto tree.

It has no nutritional significance and is "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS)
by the Food and Drug Administration.  A small amount of this natural coloring is
added to our butter when cows are on dry feed.  This is to standardize the color
to the deeper tint of butter produced when cows are feeding on green pasture.

Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.

 Sincerely,
Land O'Lakes Consumer Affairs

Case: 262105