From:
Joan Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:34:34 -0400

Hi listmates.
Just wanted to share my recent experiences dining out in Manhattan. First,
Risotteria has closed permanently. That's too bad for us, as I understand
it was very GF friendly. I ate at Paradou which is in the meatpacking
district. We had planned to eat at Risotteria but as it was closed down, we
went to the next closest place that we could remember from all of my lists,
Paradou. Needless to say we went there unannounced (i usually like to call
in adavnce, but this was not possible given the scenario). Anyway, I had a
lovely meal of pan seared scallops served with there own juice and some
white wine over fennel, arugula and baby potatoes. It was very very good.
There menu does have alot of crepes and sandwiches but there is enough on
there for us to choose from that would be GF. They also have salads. The
server had a french accent, so if you an bring a french rest. card, it
might help.
I also ate at Josie's on 74th at Amsterdam (300 74th st). This was great.
This is a health food restaurant and so they are very up on diet issues.
They knew what GF meant and they have  abook for the servers to use to
check ingredients in any dish (although my server knew alot without looking
at the book, he was very willing to check when he didn't). I had roasted
chicken (without the sauce, which wasn't necessary as the chicken was
delicious) with tamari brown rice and dessert (soy ice cream with choc. and
caramel sauce) . It was delicious, reliable and very accomodating. They use
a wheat-free tamari. However, they do use a soy milk to whip the potatoes
and it contains barley enzymes, so avoid the mashed potatoes. Also there is
a gourmet pasta shop on broadway (2204) between 78 and 79 th sts. They
carry some GF products, including pastas, cakes, cookies, bagels, muffins, etc.
joan

joan
Conshohocken, PA, USA