From:
Shirley M Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 13:07:18 -0400

When a small-intestinal biopsy is done, what kind of report can the patient
expect back from the GI doctor?  I've just had one done and don't know
whether or not to celebrate.  My GI said it was "within normal limits", but
when I got a copy of the pathology report, all it said was "specimen
examined".  A follow-up call to his office was answered (by a somewhat irate
secretary) that "well, that's all it says when its normal".
Somehow I was expecting to see "such-and-such specimens were taken at blank-
blank sites.  This is what they looked like--consistent with normal villi
and microvilli--and celiac in this patient not found."  Should there be
additional reports other than the one I was very reluctantly given ?  I've
only seen this GI once specifically for this procedure, so I have no way of
knowing if this is how they routinely treat their patients.
I'm hopeful that these people knew what they were looking for--but the report
and its lack of information concerns me.  Has anyone else on this list had
a similar experience?
Shirley Johnson