From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 13:52:56 -0500

Dear Friends,

    Today a new prospective member of our group told me about a couple
of articles in the newsletter published by the National CFIDS Foundation

about the connection between CD and CFIDS.  You may want to
look at these interesting articles. Go to the web site:
http://www.nef-net.org/forum/.  Then click on
NEWSLETTER , then Winter 2001-2002 issue.

     One article called "Unchartered Waters" is a testimony about a
CFIDS patient with neurological problems going to the Mayo Clinic and
discovering an atypical form of CD.  She mentions two articles by  Dr.
C.Robert Dahl, a gastroenterologist in Denver (physician advisor for the
Denver group, actually), one called "The Great Mimic" like that which he
gave to the CSA annual conference not too many years ago. Dr. Dahl
explained that it might take about 2 years to really notice an
improvement.  With neurological Celiac Disease, no one is quite sure how
much of the damage that has been done to the central nervous system will
be resolved.  CSA, CDF and GIG phone numbers and web sites are given.

Also look at the article entitled "Celiac Disease in CFS Patients and
a Bit More!" by Alan Cocchetto, which includes more specific
information about CD.

I am not surprised about this connection.  A number of years ago I
talked with a local representative of the CFIDS group and we exchanged
some material.  So much of what I read seemed to indicate a connection
to Celiac Disease.  However, this is the first time I see a national
CFIDS group mentioning the possibility.

--
Janet in Houston
Celiacs Helping Celiacs