Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:45:31 EDT

Subject: various questions

I have been struggling with the gf diet for about a year now and
have some questions...

I didn't quite follow the whole conversation concerning Nature
Path's Honey'd Corn Flakes.  Is the natural vanilla GF or not?  If
not, how can the company advertise them as being GF?  My 4 year
old son loves these and will be upset to find out that he cannot have
them anymore. Does anyone know of a substitute corn flake cereal?
As it is now, breakfast is the hardest meal of the day and to take
away his one favorite would make it even more difficult.  His
choices for cold cereal now are Barbara's Brown Rice Crisps and
Nature Path's Honey'd Corn Flakes.  Any other good suggestions?

I am not sure about what Mozzarella cheeses are GF.  Those listed in
the Tri-County Guide are not found in the stores I have looked. Is
it better to buy the chuck and grate it myself?  (Is the noncaking
agents they add where the gluten is introduced or is it something
else?)  If I buy the chuck of cheese, what kinds are GF -- Maggio,
Sorrento, Sargento, Healthy Choice, Giant Brand?

What is the difference between vanilla and vanillan? I had originally
thought that vanillan is GF but now I am not sure anymore.

What about painkillers -- I heard that children's Tylenol is NOT gf
but children's Motrin is gf.  Recently I was talking to another mom
of a CD child and she indicated that Motrin is also NOT gf. What
children's painkiller is GF?

Finally, my son has CD and not DH.  Is it important that I be
concerned about what I use on his skin -- ie. detergents, soaps,
shampoos, suntan lotions and what his skin touches -- ie. playdough,
poster paints, those temporary tatoos, markers etc?  I understand
the problem with chapsticks and toothpaste but do I need to watch
the other things too?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Michele Kratzmeier     (301) 640-3079         861/4B40