From:
Aimee French <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:52:18 EST

I'm new to the Celiac community and I'm hoping that some of you might be able
to share some wisdom and expertise with me. Here is my story, I'll try to
make it short.
       About 8 months ago I began to have chronic stomach pain - reminded me
of an ulcer I'd had 14 years ago, but this time did not respond to treatment.
I felt bloated and sick after eating small portions, crampy and nauseous all
the time. After a few months, I began instinctively eating mostly the foods
that didn't hurt - fruits, vegetables, rice and meat. I also tolerated granola
bars and pudding with low levels of discomfort. I lost about 20 pounds that
first two months, then continued slowly losing weight once I changed my diet. I
began to notice that when I did have a cookie or bread product, I felt tired and
achy - not unlike the way I'd felt most of my life until then. On the simple
diet, I felt energetic and well.
       After months of this, I read an article about 10 diseases dr's miss,
Celiac being one of them. I got the blood test, which was positive (TTg 76),
and had a biopsy last week, which was negative. I don't know if my changed
eating habits for the past 6 months affected that, though I tried to eat lots of
gluten (and felt terrible) the week preceeding the test.
       In addition to these conflicting results, I have had many symptoms,
including:
purpura (a teen)
night blindness
pre-arthritic changes
fatigue
anemia
diarrhea & floating stool
lactose intolerance
excessive gas
white spots on fingernails
My dad also has many celiac symptoms.
       My question is this: has anyone else ever had a positive blood test,
negative biopsy? My doctor's office sounds as if they're prepared to treat this
as celiac and I'm quite comfortable with that, but I'm interested as to how
typical or atypical my situation is, and any other information you think I
should know.
Thanks so much for reading through this long email.

Aimee
upstate NY