From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:04:28 -0500

I know that when one makes ghee (clarified butter) out of normal American
style butter, it is the protein (casein) in the butter that rises to the
surface and is skimmed off.

Does anyone know how much (if any) lactose is in butter fat?

I ask, because I cannot tolerate milk, yet have no problem with very heavy
cream and no problem with butter.  I assume it is both casein and milk
sugar that cause celiac type symptoms for me. Probably we are all
different.  My mother, for instance, seemed to have no problem with wheat,
but was lactose (and probably casein?) intolerant.  [I rather think Mother
was gluten sensitive, too, but it was never tested.]

Just curious, and surely someone knows the answer.  Gayle K