From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 1996 17:52:55 GMT

In this area I do not claim to be an expert, but one of our subscribers
reminded me that over indulgence in magnesium or almost any supplementation
can cause problems.  Therefore, I am sending this message as a reminder that
many posts are not black and white and to evaluate the suggestions in regard
to your medical condition and all available information.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA

It is well established that a magnesium deficiency can result from
untreated celiac disease.  However, if one has a magnesium deficiency,
magnesium supplementation should be discontinued once normal magnesium
serum levels are attained.

While magnesium, like other minerals, is essential for the maintenance of
health, it is important to remember that too much of a good thing can do
more harm than good.  Hypotension, respiratory failure, and cardiac
distrbances can result from magnesium toxicity.

Considerations when taking magnesium supplements:

1) Caution is advised if one is also taking drugs that affect electolyte
balance such as diuretics, corticosteroids, and cardiovascular agents.

2) Magnesium can inhibit the absorption of tetracycline so taking magnesium
while on this antibiotic should be avoided.

3) Antacids and purgatives may also contain magnesium.

4) Dosages of CNS depressants such as barbiturates and narcotics should be
adjusted accordingly because of the added central depressive effects of
magnesium.