From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:06:01 -0700

I failed to mention in my summary that hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid)
and achlrohydria (no stomach acid) are very common among people with
celiac disease, thyroid disorders, other autoimmune diseases as well as
GERD, gastritis, indigestion, food allergies, IBS, etc.  He states that
low stomach acid production is the root cause of many, many chronic
diseases & disorders and even theorizes that it may be one of the
triggers that "sets off" celiac disease in those who are predisposed.
When it comes to allergic gastritis, it's kind of a "chicken or the egg"
thing.  He's not sure if the food allergies caused the hypochlorhydria or
the hypochlorhydria caused the allergies, because once it starts, it's a
vicious self perpetuating downward cycle that is very difficult to
arrest.  But treating it with betaine  hydrochloride, pepsin & selected
supplements usually corrects the problem and restores health.  Under the
direction of my ND, I've been using HCl & pepsin supplementation off & on
for a couple of weeks now & have noticed some definite improvements: no
more painful leg cramps at night (they had been so severe as to keep me
up for hours at a time), relief from constipation, much less gas &
bloating, and almost no odor to my stools & flatulence.  Valerie in
Tacoma, WA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.