Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 00:21:46 +0200

Dear Listreaders:

I have tried several recipes for sufgani'ot - one being from Bette
Hagman's book. Truth to tell, none come out like the "real thing". [Fot
those who don't know, sufgani'ot are the Israeli answer to donuts. They
are generally made with yeast and, of course,  wheat flour, are fried and
sprinkled with confectioners sugar. They have the obligatory blob of jelly
injected into them after cooling. This a traditional Hanukah treat that
celiacs who remember them will miss.]

There was a post not long ago requesting a recipe. Hanukah begins Thurs.
evening and lasts 8 days so there's plenty of time to try these. This
recipe is the closest imitation I could come up with. Anyone who wants to
refine it is welcome to use this as a starting point, tho they don't taste
bad as it is. I would love to hear if and how any of you were able to
improve on this.

You need:
2 1/2 c. Hagman's flour mix
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. GF baking powder
2 eggs
2 TBSP sugar
1 3/4 c sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla sugar
confectioners sugar for dusting
red colored jelly/jam to inject when sufgani'ot are cooled
oil for deep frying

Mix 1st 7 ingredients well. (You may have to add a bit more flour mix.)
Using a spoon, do the best you can to drop by clumps into near boiling
oil. Fry in deep fat and turn. Drain on paper towel. Then dust with
sonfectioners sugar and insert jelly.

Happy Hanukah and 1997 to all.

Sharon Marcus
Israel.