From:
chintala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 06:42:13 +1100

Thank you to all those who sent me their ideas on snacks for kids. It
was a great help and my son and I appreciate it.

These included: fruit and veges of any kind, yogurt, dry cereal,
popcorn, gf potato chips, corn chips, rice crackers, nuts

Arab Pocket bread in Bette Hagman's second book (wonderful recipe!) and
fill it with peanut butter or melted cheese . We also depend a lot on
nuts, and cheese, and pack lots of fresh fruit and vegetables (carrot
sticks, apples sliced and dipped in orange juice so they won't go brown,
lettuce). Rice cakes also work well and can be spread with jam or cream
cheese (or both!). Tortilla chips. Soft tortillas with melted cheese
inside (or even peanut butter). Sliced meats from dinner (roast beef,
chicken, turkey). Bacon. Ham and cheese rolled in a lettuce leaf.

We sure do rely on peanut butter. Another favorite is thinly sliced
apples with peanut butter making a sandwich without bread!

I got a dehydrator, and make banana and kiwi chips, fruit leather, etc -
good (and healthy) snacks!!!

My kids also like raw veggies, cubes of gf cheese, halved baked potatoes
(with something on top, or with some of the insides scooped out, mixed with
cheese, meat, or sauce, and then spooned back in.

These ones are the Australian ones, hope they help others.

Every week I buy bulk nuts; cashews, almonds and pecans, dried fruits like
apricots, sultanas etc.  Both children get a handful of these every day for
recess - vary the combination by adding ginger, carob balls or buds etc.
Both my son's peers seem to covert this snack, trying to trade their
Dunkaroos or whatever for this nutritional bounty!

* I store bars of almond and honey (Sun brand) sesame snack bars

* I buy at least 4 packets of Fantastic Snacks Rice Crackers in all flavours
which in our house is the GF equivalent of something like pizza shapes or
Jatz.  Good for afternoon tea with cheese or cream cheese or dips.  Expect
to use at least one packet a day this way depending on how many you are
feeding!

* I buy Arnotts Rice Cookies and they are the sweet standby in our house,

* I make pikelets from Abundant Earth Brown Rice Baking mix It's a most
sensational mix - so reliable and yummy.  I usually make them for breakfast,
wrap several for the lunch box with cream cheese or just butter and keep any
others for snack time.  This is a staple at our house for all members.  Thin
the mixture out with more milk and you have a great pancake batter.

* Naytura Gluten Free Carob coated cookies.  Great for lunch box as they are
in cellophane wrappers of two biscuits each.

* Corn Thins by Real Foods are also standard and since we tried these we no
longer buy ricecakes as these are superior in taste (I suspect it may be the
salt) Yummy snack with peanut butter or whatever.

* Norco frozen yoghurt. Available in small single serve containers.

* Popcorn - microwave or fresh.

* Cake. As above.
Truefruit 100% fruit bars, Freedom foods several types biscuits & nut bars,
Nestle milky bars, Cadbury MIlk chocolate, milky top and milk white, and
giant freddo, Dove milk chocolate, fruit & nut, hazlnut, M & M minis and
starbursts.
Heinz plain baked beans, green seas plain tuna, both these are in little
tins, ideal for lunches
Uncle Toby's rolls ups, Nestle yoghurt

Go to Celiac disaese forum at this address: This site has some amazing
recipes and sooo many of them, an absolute treasure.
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages

peanut butter balls: you can get your kid to help make them. Use about 1
cup of creamy peanut butter, add 1/4 cup powdered milk and mix well,
then add enough maple syrup to give the stuff a workable consistency.
Form these into balls and, if you like, roll them in crushed gluten-free
cereal. They pack, travel, and keep well.

some yummy recipes

1 cup peanut butter (GF of course)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs

Mix together, drop in spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees
for about 10-15 minutes.  They're great!  and easy!

GERMAN APPLE PANCAKES

7 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup GF flour mix
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 golden delicious apples, peeled if desired, cored and cut into 1/2
   inch wedges
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup creme fraiche
1 cup sliced strawberries, for garnish (optional)

In a blender, combine the eggs, vanilla, and sugar and blend for about 15
seconds, until combined.

Add the flour and the baking powder and mix for 60 seconds more, until very
smooth.

Preheat the broiler to medium-high heat.  Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet
over medium heat and add the butter.  Saute the apples for 4 to 5 minutes,
or until softened.  Add the cinnamon and the sugar, sprinkling them evenly
over the apples, and stir together for 2 minutes more, until the apples are
glazed and slightly translucent at the edges.

Distribute the apples evenly in the skillet and pour the batter over them.
Cook until the bottom seems quite firm, about 8 minutes.  Transfer the pan
to the broiler and, watching carefully, cook until the pancake is firm
throughout and golden on top.

Cut the pancake into 4 wedges and transfer them upside down to breakfast
plates.  Sprinkle with a little confectioners' sugar, place a dollop of
creme fraiche on the top, and fan out some sliced strawberries on the plate,
if desired.

So hope this helps someone. Happy eating. Cheers Tracy