From:
Darlene Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:17:52 -0500

02/28/08

Hello,

I had a few responses to the orange cornmeal cake recipe I posted earlier
this week. The responses are summarized below:

1. Cornmeal  - One person cautioned that corn meal is often not Gluten free.
Yes, this is true there are many corn meal mixes on the grocery shelf that
is a mixture of ground corn and wheat flour. But there is corn meal that is
100% ground corn. I personally use Stiver's Best Self Rising corn meal that
I purchased at Kroger. I have not contacted Stiver's as to 'gluten-free'
status or cross-contamination issues.

2. GF flour and additives:  I used GF Pantry French Bread Mix for the GF
flour component of the recipe. This mix does contain guar gum. So if
different GF flour is used in the recipe, one person suggested that xanthum
or guar gum may be needed for the cake recipe.

Regards,

Darlene

Savannah, GA