From:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2011 10:12:56 -0400

Two days ago, I posted that Authentic Foods xanthan gum is not only
gluten-free but also corn-free.  Despite the fact that the bacteria is
fermented with corn sugar, the sugar is washed off and then the gum is
pasteurized to kill the bacteria.  Nebraska University has tested the gum
and has certified it to be corn-free.  U.S. grown and processed xanthan gum
is nearing an end since imported gum from China is far less expensive.  The

Several people have noticed that the xanthan gum they're using now is gray
in color (instead of white) and it doesn't work quite as well.  They've also
noticed a slight after-taste.  Upon further checking, they discovered they
are using the imported version.

Quite a few were upset that xanthan gum is being imported from China, both
because it's just one more product we're not making here at home and because
we now have no control over how the product is grown and processed.

One person recommended that the entire listserv google "corn-free xanthan
gum" assuming that searches are monitored and the increase demand for
xanthan gum info will draw attention.

Tricia Thompson, MS, RD, is thinking of having the imported gum tested
through Gluten Free Watchdog  (www.glutenfreewatchdog.org) to make sure it
is gluten-free.

One responded that she uses NOW brand xanthan gum.  I then sent an email to
both NOW and Bob's Red Mill asking if the raw product they use to make their
xathan gum is domestic or imported but I haven't heard back from either
company yet.

Several said they use guar gum because they're allergic to corn and they
thought all xanthan gum contained corn.

And one person insists that Authentic Foods xanthan gum still contains corn.

Be aware that in the near future (within the year) it may impossible for
companies to get the bacteria needed for xanthan gum from the U.S. so all
xanthan gum at that point will be processed from imported products.

Connie Sarros
Gluten-free Cookbooks
www.gfbooks.homestead.com