From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:44:00 -0700

Hi listmates,

This is a summary of the responses I got concerning people who
have multiple intolerances apart from gluten such as corn, rice,
and dairy. I also mentioned that I had been able to use mineral
oil as a moisterizer afetr a brief period where it upset my skin.
I will refer to the food restrictions as intolerances since I
don't know how they fit technically into the celiac profile. Most
of them are verbatim with addresses stripped as there is a lot of
detail which I think may be helpful. Apologies for the length!

-one person is using pancreatic enzymes to help digest food which
seemed to help the additional absorption problems->this person
also had candida and thought it might be contributing to leaky
gut: solutions to intolerances included buckwheat flour and
garbanzo bean flour for pancakes, muffins, and cookies. Potato
flour was suggested but it makes rather heavy doughs. The
cookbooks are a problem because of the reliance on rice flour.
A lot of whole foods are used including fruits, plain vegetables,
potatoes, plainly cooked meats and seafood. Eating in resteraunts
is tricky.

-Another person said that practically everyone on this list is in
the same boat.  You learn to eat simple foods and made
substitutions.  This person is also diabetic and on a low
carb diet and follows Atkins books [along with Bernstein]

-I try to substitute whereever I can. I drink
soy milk Carnation Alsoy in cereal and coffee.  I find it is
healthier than the milk substitutes with all the corn syrup in
it. I just dilute it one can alsoy to two cans
water. I use Tofutti cream cheese(soy)
american cheese substitute is Soymage
soy singles. They also make a sub.
mozzerella cheese. I use tofu for whipped
desserts and other things. I eat a lot of
potatoes. There are margarines with no
butter. You should join the no-milk support group for a while and
you can get some ideas there or just research the archives.
Put a search in for No-milk diet. It will
come up with it.

-Have you tried the bean flours from Authentic Foods? There is a
good pancake mix and also a falafel mix you can buy and make some
nice flatbreads and other pancake-type foods which are also good
for you. I  use a potato bread which is delicious from GF Cookie
Jar; even though I am sensitive to rice and this bread has a tiny
bit of rice flour in it, I can tolerate it. I can send those
telelphone numbers if you want them; just let me know. I eat (too
many) potato chips, but not from Lays which has corn oil in them,
but from the HFS, especially something called Michaels brand. It
is a constant dilemma when you have all those stated
sensitivities; add eggs to the list and you are really
up a creek! I have found, on the good news side, that staying GF
and also taking some other supplements, my food reactions have
decreased considerably. I even have had some corn deriviatives
lately and have been able to tolerate them after being very
intolerant of corn.

-When I was about four I was diagnosed as allergic to milk, corn,
and a variety of other things; as food has become more and more
manufactured I have discovered other allergies; one of the most
troubling is to soy protein. I could drink goats' milk and when
they invented homogenized milk shortly before the war I drank
that without any serious problems, for many, many, years. Now
all milk causes reactions. When I discovered my intollerance of
gluten about a year ago I hoped that some of my food problems
would go away as they had for my mother after she stopped eating
gluten; but they have not, so far. What do we eat? We avoid
prepared food unless it is certifiably gf. I make my
own bread using one of Betty Hagmann's recipes; fortunately I can
eat eggs and have very low cholesterol. I also make my wife's
bread with regular flour. We buy meat unprepared because the
[repared versions contain corn syrup or protein. We cook just
about everything from scratch.

-Yes, and I also do not tolerate sugars, nor potatoes.  Just eat
pure food and concentrate on all the things you CAN eat.  I find
nuts and dried fruit a vast help.  And once in a while glucose
tablets for energy.

-As long as I stay GF, I can tolerate dairy.  If I get some
wheat/gluten by mistake, my tolerance for dairy goes again.  I
recover in a few days to a week, depending on the challenge.
It's a common experience for dairy tolerance to return- I don't
know what the time table is for others.  Maybe it will
for the other items, too, as the mineral oil did for you.

-You can try baking with bean flour with can be purchased through
Authentic Foods whose no. 1-800-806-4737.  Some of their mixes
contain rice flour so you will probably have to purchase the pure
flour and bake things yourself.  You could substitute potato
starch flour and tapioca flour for the rice flour.
Bette Hagman's third book has recipes.

-I eliminated almost all dairy from my diet 10 months ago - and
gluten 8 months ago.  I just got bloodwork back for food
allergies and must now eliminate: eggs dairy beans almonds gluten
garlic and sugar (candida). Can you - if it's your diet we're
talking about -  eat legumes (beans and such)? They were a great
replacement food for me.  I would open up a can of
beans (time saver), rinse them and throw them into a tupperware
container with a little olive oil, frozen vegetable, salt and
pepper. Made a great lunch. Can you bake with bean flours?  I am
only just beginning to experiment and I'm not sure whether most
recipes require some kind of rice flour base.  There is also
almond flour. I was also told by a friend that goat's milk had
different properties than cow's milk.  On my test results, there
was not allergic reaction to goat's milk.  I'm thinking that
means I might be able to add feta cheese to my diet.  You might
want to experiment with that. How about soy?  I find soy milk is
great for cooking, good on cereal (if you can find an allowable
grain), and fun to heat up like cocoa on a cold winter night (add
cinnamon or nutmeg.)  Soy also provides a good base for blender
drinks with bananas and other fruit (great with frozen
bananas!)... it also is a good source of calcium. How about
potatos for a base in recipes?  As a layer in what would
traditionally be known as lasagna?  Kind of a shepards pie, but
with vegggies, tomatoes, meat, etc. I've been on this list since
August, and reading a lot.  But I didn't forsee how restricted my
diet was going to become.  I'm currently being treated for
Candida - which also means sugar and fermented/fungus products
(wine, cheese, mushrooms, etc.) are out.

-It's been a struggle to come up with anything to eat.  And yet,
the longer I go, the more foods I can eat without problems.  But
rice still seems to cause gut problems, and I'm afraid to try
corn at all, since rice and wheat are both problems.  Milk is was
a definite no-no as it gives me asthma-like problems.
I just got a cookbook yesterday called "Dining in the Raw" by
Rita Romano that at least is more interesting than a single food
on my plate.

-Yes, and add to the list soy.  I pretty much eat whole foods or
foods that I prepare from the base ingredients.  Very few things
are suitable "out of the box or can".  I have found a few
spaghetti sauces.  Other than that I can't think of much.  Canned
or frozen vegetables, canned pumkin and beans.  That is most of
what sets on my food shelf.

-I cannot have any of these foods - fish, seafood, chocolate,
corn, soy, yeast, all dairy products, eggs and gluten, of course.
Makes finding something to eat pretty limited.

-A GF diet wasent enough for me although it did help.  I also
have a problem with soy, corn, and dairy (and of corse, gluten).
I now follow what's known as a paleolithic diet.  I find it much
easier to eat paleo than GF because all paleo food is GF and also
free of additives (which I also have a problem with, I had MS
symptoms before my diet change).  I dont have to call
company's etc to see if their food is GF or not etc. etc.  I eat
all kinds of meats, that includes eggs, most vegetables, fruit,
most nuts, fish and berries.  I dont eat any grain at all, not
even rice.  For breakfast I might eat eggs, baccon and eggs or a
hamburger.  Dinner is mostly a meat and vegetables.  I eat fruit
and nuts mostly for snacks. I made a stew the other night and
using coconut milk, fruit etc, I can make dessert's much like ice
cream or puddings.  I have found the paleo diet to be very
healthy, it got me over my illness which was very severe and I
have also lost a lot of weight.  I dont have a scale but I have
gone from a size 13 to a 9 in less than three months. (I use to
be a size 3 before I got sick).  There is more info
regarding the paleo diet at http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/  at
the bottom of that same page is info for joining the paleofood
list.

-I should tell you that I'm not diagnosed CD.  My Ab tests came
back neg.  They were done after I'd already gone GF.  I'd had
diarrhea for 4 months and was eliminating one thing at a time
(instead of going to a basic diet and adding back in- I was on my
own- my Dr. wasn't advising me about diet, but it seemed like
common sense).  Anyway, when I elminated wheat my symptoms went
away.  When I tested wheat with a few cookies a few
weeks later, my symptoms came back with a vengeance, and didn't
go away until I quit dairy.   Last week I had reintroduced dairy
successfully, then went to dinner and ordered steak (that sounded
safe) but it had a sauce on it.   I scraped it off, but asked and
it had wheat in it.  I didn't get any symptoms from that little
bit of wheat, but I lost my tolerance to dairy again.   So that's
how it has gone.  It's all new to me- in the last month
and a half.  But I've read that the lactose intolerance comes and
goes for diagnosed celiacs.   Just wanted to clarify that-

-I cannot eat milk (dairy), eggs, rice, wheat (gluten), turkey,
nitrates and nitrites.

-When I was first diagnosed with CD 6 years ago, I had to
restrict corn, lactose, rice, potatoes and sugar (in addition to
gluten). Then slowly I was able to bring them back into my diet
(minus the gluten of course).  Rice and potatoes were the
first of these that I could bring back. It's now been over
1 year that I can consume all of corn, lactose, rice, potatoes
and sugar. There is a book called "Food and the Gut Reaction"
by Elaine Gotschall (her last name may be spelled wrong)
that may be helpful.  The diet is called the carbohydrate
specific diet and is quite controversial.  It is not supported
by the Canadian Celiac association, but it did help me for
some time. I have no financial interest in this book, but it did
help me.

-We have a whole mailing list focusing on this called PaleoFood
(also on maelstrom). Stop by this web site. Info on the list is
at the bottom.  The Paleolithic Diet Page:
http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/

Thanks to everyone who took the time to outline their
restrictions and suggestions! It is very helpful to me as many of
the cookbooks for us rely on rice and corn ingredients. i hope
this helps others with mutiple intolerances.