From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:43:36 -0800

I first wrote to the list concerned about this item that Laurel Schunk wrote:

At 05:13 PM 2/11/01 -0600, Laurel Schunk wrote:

 > >Many celiacs can eat rice, but I cannot. I note with interest that
 > >enriched rice has barley sprayed on it.

BELOW ARE THE REPLIES I GOT TO THIS: First a couple saying that's not true:

 >>No it's not accurate. The enriched rice isn't sprayed with anything. The
"enriched" part is vitamins. Spoke with both the dietician and food
manufacturers on this one.

That sounds preposterous!! That is the trouble with this list, when goofy
things are posted, and even not so goofy, but still incorrect, everyone takes
it as gospel! I fear that many people can be harmed because of this.

Then here are the posts that accept that some rice has gluten in it:

 >>I've been waiting for this one to cause an "uproar" but it seems that most
people have just ignored it! It is true that SOME companies use barley
in the enrichment process. I wrote the Mahatma company to ask about this
and they stated that all of their rice is enriched using cornstarch.
Jamie in SC

 >>I have been warned to beware of enriched white converted rice, but Laurie's
post came as a surprise to me. I have,however, noticed some celiac
guidance publications list certain brands of rice as being gluten-free.
In addition,the CSA has issued a general warning to check out all
"enriched" products. I'd appreciate it if you would summarize or relay
any responses that you may receive to me.

 >>Yes from the list a long time ago enriched rice is
not GF. They use some kind of barley rinse to remove
the hull.

 >>I, too, have been told by a health food store owner that typical,
non-organic WHITE rice is enriched with B vitamins, etc. The source is
uaually barley.

 >>I was under the impression that "enriched" was in the same category as
things like "modified food starch" or "citric acid" or "vinegar" -- that
is, it might be gf or it might not, depending on what was used as the basic
ingredient.

I do know that Uncle Ben now states that all its plain rices, which are
enriched, are gf, right on the label. So Uncle Ben must be using
ingredients other than non-gf grains to do their enriching process. I
happily buy and use UB white and brown rice.

UB does *not* guarantee the gf status of any of their seasoned products. Darn.

Ed. note: And yes, I note that the gluten free lists do list GF rice
brands. I assume that's because they accept that some are not GF. Decide
for yourself. As for me, I think we'll stick to Uncle Ben's: couldn't hoit :)

-vance

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing . . .
and then they marry him :)