From:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:18:48 -0500

This group is just awesome!  Thank you all so much for your prompt,
informative and supportive responses to my desperate plea for gf
antibiotic info last night.   I really didn't know where else to turn
and am so grateful to each and every one who took the time to share
your thoughts and experiences!  Thank you!

  Update:  I had looked at the inactive ingredients myself and didn't
see anything that jumped out as a concern but not having any pharmacy
background, I was hoping for something more solid to go on...after a
number of you shared that you had found Cefdinir to be gf or had taken
it or given it to your children without any problems, I went ahead and
filled the script, even though I was still waiting for the TEVA call
back - it was an educated gamble  - seemed like everything pointed
toward it being ok and then, of course, there was the issue that not
getting something in my daughter was even more concerning (2nd wave of
infection following flu).   I did get a call back from the
manufacturer late last night saying "to the best of our knowledge" it
is gluten free - meaning no gluten containing ingredients but also no
info about cross contamination or supplier guarantees.   Regardless, I
can't tell you how relieved I was to begin reading your responses last
night - you all gave me what I needed to proceed - a great big thank
you from both my daughter and I!!!  We both went to bed last night
feeling a little more confident and a little less alone in this
sometimes crazy and frustrating process.

Below is a summary of responses for anyone who is interested.

Thank you so very much again!

Kim in PA

SUMMARY

A number of people had found cefdinir to be gf and  shared that they
or their children had taken it without any trouble.

Several pointed out that there are multiple different generic versions
of amoxil and that at least some are gluten free (though, I learned
from the manufacturer that the one made by Greenstone LLC is NOT
gluten free)

Several people mentioned that Walgreens maintains a gluten free drug
list

One person suggested doxycycline since it is gluten free

One person shared that most pharm. companies won't guarantee that a
product is GF but if they say that the ingredients are, that is a
decent answer and to proceed with the product.  Also, that most meds
seem to be gf in recent years.

One person said that they had been told by TEVA that all of their meds
are GF.

Most felt that the pharmacist should know what is and is not GF.

Some folks seem to be having a great experience with their
pharmacists, others have had very negative experiences with regard to
gluten checking and basic knowledge regarding celiac.

One person referred to Ann Whelan, who is the editor of Gluten-free
Living. "I heard her say at a CSA meeting a few months ago, that most
drugs in the U.S. are gluten-free, or there is less than 20ppm in them
and are safe to take. I've been waiting for her to come out in print
to say that, but she may have her reasons for not doing it, or I may
have missed the article."

One person rec. injections to bypass GI tract.

Several people suggested that the benefits of a drug might still
outweigh the risks of a small amount of gluten that could be present
in the formulation.

Some websites that were recommended were:

		glutenfreedrugs.com

		Perhaps this website will be helpful in your search for a gluten-
free antibiotic.  It is
	http://pediatrics.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pediatrics&cdn=health&tm=46&gps=310_1397_1003_592&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p726.5.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&b
	ts=0&zu=http%3A//www.glutenfreeindy.com/glutenfreedrugs/index.htm

		You may be able to reach the pharmacist at Children's Hospital in
Columbus, Ohio.  You can also google gluten-free antibiotics and find
the website for Wheaton which 		lists the Children's Hospital in
Columbus.

		National Library of Medicine's Drug Information Portal http://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/
  ?  One of the databases they search is Daily Med  http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/
  which 		contains the complete drug label as supplied by the company.

		This is the information supplied by Teva on CEFDINIR
		http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=9797