From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:10:56 -0500

<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Thanks to those who responded to the Lymph Nodes Email.

Curious thought. As I was re reading some of the responsed I got,,,,CD is an Auto Immune Disease, and it was told that the 'body attacks itself' essentially. So, as far as lymph nodes :"signalling" an infection, ingestion of gluten would be a form of infection for the body to 'fight!'

I am going to post the responses. I am happy to report the lymph node went away!

I apologize for taking so long, I was waiting to possibly post for the Hair Salon products, etc and I really did not get much response. I just have to look for salons that carry products without wheat in them.  There was a person whos hair stylist made mention that there is a possibility that I am 'allergic' to something other than wheat products. Again, it has been 7 months since I had it done originally.  So, have not decided what I am going to do.

Lymph Nodes:
Lymph node inflammations should get looked at by a Hematologist ASAP.   The
underlying cause could be far more serious than a DH outbreak.  Believe me
you never get a GF diet down pat.  I've been working at it since 1968 and
only today had to tell my pharmacist to either get my blood pressure pills
frtom a special mfger. or compound them because he switched to a cheaper
mfger that won't guarantee their products as GF.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 i have a similar reaction to contraband foods -- a cyst that swells whenever something with gluten is eaten.  It's kind of my canary in the coal mine feature.  If the cyst is ok, that's another indicator of how clean my diet is.  Right before figuring out what the root cause of all my problems 6 months ago, this cyst was  extremely infected -- required cipro to clear it.  NOt the same as a lymph node, but immune response involved.  I also get blisters in my mouth (canker sores).  If one appears, that's another indicator for me.  They can develop within minutes after gluten exposure.  I have been GF for 6 months, and am feeling like I finally have a handle on the food area -- hang in there and keep listening to your body, because it will scream at you sometimes!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please be sure your doctor has checked you for lymphoma. A friend discovered that after finding recurring, tender lymph nodes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I get them all the time and my understanding from more than one doctor is
that they are a normal reaction to a virus and are benign.  They takes
months to go away and I don't think they are at all related to CD.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you had your thyroid checked?  That could be a goiter.  Lots of celiacs have hypothyroid.
I also have DH and have only been GF for 2 1/2 weeks.  I used to have those
bumps in my neck at least four times a year and had no idea what was going
on.  They took up to two weeks to go away.  I have not had one since the
spring of 2003 and hope to never have one again since going GF.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes that swollen lymph node right under your chin indicates an infection such as a cold sore or fever blister coming on.  I get that once in a while and it is an early warning sign to me to use the ointment that helps shorten the duration of my cold sores/fever blisters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
before I went gf (3 years ago) I often had painful nerve flare-ups and also lymph node pain particularly under my arms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yup, I get that too.  I tend to get hives too.  Sometimes I will do benadryl or some type of anti-histamine.  I also did allergy testing and am doing shots for allergies in hopes of desensitizing everything.
One other way to find hidden gluten is to check your pulse before and 90 minutes after eating.
I tend to flush with water.  If my intestines seem to hurt, sometimes I will eat in hopes that gets moving as well.  Though I tend to experience immediate emptying of the intestinal track if I get enough gluten.  Thankfully I tend to not do that much anymore.
I am about a year GF, it takes time, but eventually becomes more or less second nature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
probably more like related to an infection in your throat or a problem w/ teeth, etc...Have you had a cold lately?

Celiac is system and shouldn't cause nodes in one area to bothered.
lymph nodes symptoms have nothing at all to do with gluten.......I am one of
those people who have lymph node swelling (I am not a celiac), and also get
the one right under my chin.........it is very common in people whose lymph
nodes lie close to the surface of the skin.  Lymph nodes increase and
decrease in size all the time as a way to deal with any infection in the
body.  It is merely a sign of infection (which can me a major infection, or
just minor germs entering the body).  In some people it's just more
noticable.