Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:50:18 -0400

More information on the Subject.

Good Luck to All,

Clelia
~~~
Hyperthyroidism:  This disorder occurs when the thyroid gland produces too much
thyroid hormone resulting in a overactive metabolism state.  All of the body's
processes speed up with this disorder.  Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include
nervousness, irritability, a constant feeling of being hot, increased
perspiration, insomnia and fatigue, increased frequency of bowel movements, less
frequent menstruation and decreased menstrual flow, weakness, hair and weight
loss, change in skin thickness, separation of the nails from the nail bed, hand
tremors, intolerance of heat, rapid heartbeat, goiter, and, sometimes,
protruding eyeballs.  Hyperthyroidism is sometimes also called thyrotoxicosis.
The most common type f this disorder is Graves Disease, which affects about 2.5
million Americans.

The thyroid gland is the body's internal thermostat.  It regulates the
temperature by secreting two hormones that control how quickly the body
burns calories and uses energy.  If the thyroid secretes too much hormone,
hyperthyroidism results; too little hormone results in hypothyroidism.  Many
cases of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are believed to result from an
abnormal immune response.  The exact cause is not understood, but the immune
system can produce antibodies that invade and attack the thyroid, disrupting
hormone production.  Hyperthyroidism can also be caused by lumps or tumors
that form on the thyroid and disrupt hormone production.  Infection or
inflammation of the thyroid can cause temporary hyperthyroidism, as can
certain prescription drugs.

Hyperthyroidism is not as common and hypothyroidism.  Both of they thyroid
disorders affect women more often than men.  A malfunctioning thyroid can be
the underlying cause of many recurring illnesses.

Nutrients:  Very important - multivitamin and mineral complex, vitamin B
complex (50 mg three times daily), B1, B2, B6 (50 mg twice each daily) Eat
plenty of broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mustard
greens, peaches, pears, rutabagas, soybeans, spinach and turnips.
These help to suppress thyroid hormone production.

Avoid dairy products, stimulants, coffee, tea, nicotine and soft drinks.

Be wary of treatment with radioactive sodium iodine (131 or I-131), which is
often recommended for this condition.  Severe side effects have been known
to accompany the use of I-131.  Also, do not rush into surgery.  Try
improving your diet first.

Along with other bodily processes, digestion speeds up with this disorder.
Malabsorption occurs, so a proper diet is important.

This is all the information I have and I took it directly from 'Prescription
for Nutritional Healing' by Balch and Balch.

~~~~~
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last winter.  The first thing the
doctor will (presumably) want to do is determine the cause.  There are
several, including Graves Disease and thyroiditis.  The later is a
condition that is temporary, while Graves Disease requires an altogether set
of treatment options.

To determine the cause, I had a thyroid uptake "test" and a thyroid scan.
The thyroid uptake involves giving you a small amount of radioactive iodine
in a capsule.  You go back in a few hours and they "read" how much of it
your thyroid gland has taken up.  This is repeated in 24 hours.   The scan
is more like an x-ray, checking for lumps or nodules on the thyroid gland.
Both procedures are painless and only require some fasting.

I chose to have my thyroid gland "destroyed" and am now taking synthetic
thyroid.  The whole process has taken about 6 months and we are still
adjusting the dosage.  I don't feel like I have my normal stamina and energy
back yet, but there is definite and gradual improvement.  So - you'll want
them to determine the cause and then give you a choice of treatment options.
When I was first diagnosed, my family doctor referred me to an
endocrinologist who has been treating me ever since.   He put me on beta
blockers while we were waiting for test results, deciding on the treatment,
and waiting for it to take effect.  I don't recall hearing anything about
parathyroid in my process, so maybe you're dealing with something entirely
different.  Good luck!

~~~~
The parathyroid are separate glands.  There are several of them and they are
located in the same area as the thyroid gland.

My mother had hyperparathyroidism.  Had she been younger, her physician
would have recommended surgical removal of some or all of the parathyroid
gland tissue. The surgery would have been lengthy, however, and she was in
her eighties when the condition was discovered.  The alternative was for her
to take calcitonin, a synthetic version of a hormone that is produced by
salmon.  At that time she had to receive the medication by way of a daily
injection.  If I am not mistaken, you can get this prescription medication
in the form of a nasal spray nowadays.

The primary symptom of my mother's condition was an abnormally high level of
calcium in her blook.  The main purpose of the parathyroid glands is to
regulate the blood calcium level.  When the  parathyroid hormone level is
too high, it signals the body to put too much calcium into the blood.  This
extra calcium is drawn from the patient's bones.  Loss of bone calcium
results in a condition that is much like osteoporosis.  My mother's
condition was advanced before it was discovered.  Treatment was begun too
late and before she died, her vertebrae were being crushed by the weight of
her own body.

The excess calcium in my mother's blood aggravated her atherosclerosis
(hardening of the arteries) and no doubt had something to do with the series
of small strokes she had during her final months.

As I understand it, hyperparathyroidism can be cured only by surgery.  Like
many diseases, however, it's effects can be avoided if medication is begun
early and taken as prescribed.

It has been several years since my mother passed away.  However, while she
was living, I used the Net Search function of my Netscape Navigator program
to locate sites where I could find out more about the Disease she had.  You
can do this, too.  Be sure to search for hyperparathyroidism, though, rather
than hyperthyroidism, since the two conditions are totally different from
one another.

~~~~
While there may be no medicine to effectively change the function of the
parathyroids, I would think that they can treat your symptoms by way of your
calcium intake.  It may not be as dire as it sounds.  As with thyroid
Disease, they can not make the thyroid itself perform better, but they can
treat the symptoms.

~~~~
The new approach to low thyroid conditions:
http://wellweb.com/altern/diseases/thyroid.htm

~~~~
Thyroid Disease the hidden illness
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/lig/t/m/tmstjean/scthyroid.htm

~~~~
Thyroid and Calcium information  http://www.healthwwweb.com/healthwwweb.html

~~~~

Hypothyroidism Information
http://www.healthy.net/library/articles/schacter/hypothyr.d.htm

~~~~
(A doctor's web site)  Hypothyroidism (Myxedema)  © David L. Hoffman,
M.N.I.M.H.

http://www.healthy.net/library/books/hoffman/immune/hypothyroid.htm

~~~~
Thyroid Disease Support Information  http://www.krispin.com/thyroid.html