From:
Mark Baartse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:43:09 +0100

Hi Everyone,
I just joined this list and am finding it very informative.

I have not been diagnosed Gluten INtolerant or celiac or whatever. I began
to be very ill in Oct 95 begining with a virus and kept picking up butgs
continuously after that. In January (after being brushed off by my doctor) a
naturopath diagnosed me as having rampant Candida. The diet helped but after
a couple of months I had a massive relapse after eating some unleavened buns
on Good Friday. I was very unstable for the next few months, becoming again
really ill after eating some rye bread.

My naturopath told me I probably had m.e./c.f.s. whereupon I joined the cfs
listserv and there I found out about gluten intolerance. After noticing that
eating oats also upset me I decided to try it, and after 48 hrs on a GF diet
I was a different person! I told my doc all this and he said I could have
tests, however I just heard from the hospital recently and they can't test
me until April!!!

I can't afford to have it done privately (I'm on the uk's NHS) so it looks
like I'll have to wait till April. This worries me because, having improved
so dramatically on a GF diet it is probable that it won't show in the tests
whether I'm gluten intolerant or not, but I'm not willing to go back onto
gluten cos everytime I eat it, even custard powder with annatto colouring or
margerine with mono and diglycerides, I react badly ie sick for the next
12-24 hours. So should I just assume that I am gluten intolerant? Do you
experienced celiacs :) think it's clear enough? Or get the tests done
anyway, and howmuch gluten would I have to eat beforehand for it to show up?

Also, it appears that I have other food allergies also - have been on an
elimination diet for a couple of months now and discovered allergies to
peanuts, chick peas and tomatoes. Ther may be more. However, milk, eggs, soy
and corn are not a problem. Is this sort of thing common? I know often
lactose intolerance goes with GI but I don't have it. What about other food
allergies such as I have?

And my final, and most important question, should I still have the tests
done? I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks all,
Nicola

Mark Baartse [log in to unmask] ph 0956 965 494
"Was it a millionaire who said imagine no possessions"