From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:38:19 -0800

Dear Listmates,

I went a little bit crazy today when I visited my local Kosher Food
Warehouse now that all the Passover foods are for sale. A real
hole-in-the-wall location, but great selection, great prices (for
Canada, that is!)

Besides finding gluten free gefilte fish, marshmallows, and gift boxed
chocolates, I found macaroon cookies, Osem brand instant chocolate &
vanilla pudding mixes, Tabatchnick soups (4 different kinds!) and
Kineret brand Vegetable Crepes, which I plan to hold onto until the
holiday of Shavuot in late spring.

As usual, I plan to continue to serve more Sephardic-style foods (food
style that evolved from those living in the middle east) at my Passover
seder (ceremonial meal), especially now that I have done a whole bunch
more reading about jewish holiday foods as served in different lands and
finding out that the foods basically evolved around the food ingredients
that were most available.

In my case, my Passover seder menu must be gluten free (me), dairy free
(my daughter in law) and meat free (to accommodate the vegetarians), so
Sephardic style foods fit more than Ashkenazik style (which evolved in
Russia & Poland).

Also, a number of us in Vancouver are sharing the cost of importing a
quantity of the Shemura Oat matzah for our own use. (Please listmates,
let's not debate the pros & cons of oats again.)

Thanks Linda & Betsy and others - I think I speak for many of us that
our Passovers are ever so much more enjoyable (& tolerable) since we
began sharing our experiences and recipes.

Helen in Vancouver